Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations
Department: University Housing
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $135,000 - $140,000 per year
Compensation Band: OS-OA11-Fiscal Year 2019-2020
Application Review Begins
May 15, 2020; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please upload the following documents with your online application:
• Cover letter highlighting how your knowledge, skills and abilities qualify you for the requirements, competencies, and qualifications outlined in the job posting.
• Response to the supplemental question below:
University Housing is intentionally working towards being an inclusive and multicultural organization. What does that mean to you, and if you are selected as the Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations, how will you help the department advance this goal?
Living on campus adds tremendous value for students and the University. Students who live on campus their first year have higher grades, are retained at the University of Oregon at higher rates, graduate at higher rates and graduate more quickly.
University Housing, a department within the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management, is committed to facilitating students’ development as they build an inclusive community, establish a sense of home, and succeed academically. Our goal is to become the model of excellence for providing accessible, affordable, and student-centered living-learning experiences; the preferred choice for all UO students.
We value diversity and respect, integrity, equity and inclusion, learning and growth, responsibility and accountability, safety and security. University Housing staff work hard to incorporate these values into daily work and practices to ensure an excellent UO experience.
University Housing units include Business Services, Dining Services, Facilities Services, Promotions & Student Recruitment, and Residence Life. University Housing is a $68 million educational and business department that is a self-sustaining, self-liquidating agency of the University (receives no tuition or tax support for its operating budget).
The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations provides leadership and management of the University Housing business services operations, serving the entire large business enterprise of the University Housing portfolio including, Residence Life, Residential and retail Dining (20 venues across campus), Catering and Conference Services, Facilities Services, Promotions & Student Recruitment and University Housing Administration, with about 350 full-time and 700 student and part-time employees and an annual budget of over $68 million. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations collaboratively drives business development and partnership opportunities to expand revenue streams and reduce the growth of the cost of being a UO residential student. The Director develops and proposes annual Room & Board rates, rental rates, and Special Fees, Fines, Penalties, and Service Charges with justification materials submitted in the review and approval processes including to the University of Oregon Tuition and Fee Advisory Board (TFAB). The Director provides monthly, quarterly, and year-end operating reports and projections for the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management, as well as for the Budget and Resource Planning for development of financial reports to the UO Board of Trustees.
The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations manages day-to-day operations of University Housing Business Services Operations (UHBSO) while providing visible and effective leadership to area leads within the business unit. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations prepares, recommends, and implements plans and strategies related to the development of shared business services within the University Housing portfolio and, in conjunction with the other University Housing leadership, determines appropriate levels of support between UHBSO and University Housing units (e.g., the Residence Life, Residential and retail Dining, Catering and Conference Services, Facilities Services, Marketing and Communications and University Housing Administration). The combined business operations organization is composed of the following University Housing units: Human Resources, Residential Technology, Purchasing, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations develops appropriate metrics to analyze the effectiveness of operations and coaches the University Housing business services leadership team, providing a growth-oriented staff environment.
The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations is the primary liaison between the University Housing units and the business operations organization. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations oversees the implementation of appropriate business processes and internal controls and develops collaborative relationships with colleagues in supported units and promotes a positive and trustworthy reputation for UHBSO. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations must effectively communicate with and manage the expectations of all stakeholders through appropriately executed business services. The Director of University Housing for Business Services Operations meets regularly with the leadership of each University Housing supported unit and engages unit leaders to develop reports and other useful tools that promote operational effectiveness and efficiency.
This position has reporting obligations under Title IX and the Clery Act. This position has been identified as being a Designated Reporter under Title IX and a Campus Security Authority (CSA) under the Clery Act, and as such, must adhere to Title IX “responsible employee” definition, obligations and training and Clery Act required reporting responsibilities and CSA training. This position requires successful completion a background check.
This position reports to the Assistant Vice President for Student Services and Enrollment Management and Director of Housing.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Eight years’ experience in business, financial, accounting, and/or budgetary management, at least five of which must be at management level.
• Working knowledge of business development and partnerships.
• Supervision of professional staff and ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative supervisory and colleague working relationships.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships.
• Strong financial modeling and forecasting skills.
• Creative problem solving, analytical and strategic thinking skills.
• Effective oral and written communication skills and style, including strong listening and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated commitment to inclusivity and diversity of perspective and background.
• Well-developed managerial, decision-making, planning, organizational, and leadership skills.
• Strong ethics and dedication to provision of quality service.
• Flexibility, adaptability to change.
• Ability to incorporate innovative practices into the workplace to enhance effectiveness and efficiency.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or public administration.
• MPA, MBA, Master’s in Student Services/Personnel or other graduate degree in a related field.
• Experience in a state facility, college or university, or other multi-facility complex.
• Familiarity with global trends supporting business development and partnerships.
• Experience developing businesses, partnerships and sponsorships to generate revenue streams.
• Experience with valuation for sponsorship of space, program and services.
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits .
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination .
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report .
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Eugene
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Eugene
- Business Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in Eugene
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Eugene
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Eugene