Adjunct Faculty, College of Education
Posting Number F00092P Quick Link for Position http://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1472 Working Title Adjunct Faculty, College of Education Position Number 20-13-P001 Department School of Education About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department
The College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics includes the School of Education and houses programs leading to bachelor’s degrees in biology, chemistry, computer information technology, education, geosciences, and mathematics. We offer ASE degrees in electrical engineering and mechanical engineering in coordination with the corresponding baccalaureate degrees at the University of Arkansas – Fayetteville. Teacher licensure degrees are available in biology, mathematics and in other disciplines in secondary education (7-12), as are bachelor’s degrees in elementary education (K-6) and middle childhood education (4-8). Additionally, students may seek minors in biology, chemistry, geology, physics, and applied statistics.
The college is committed to exposing students to cutting-edge ideas and methodologies, with programs and courses designed to foster independence, analytical thinking, and problem-solving. Our highest priority is preparation of students for industry, teaching, graduate studies, and medical fields. Excellence in teacher preparation through classroom instruction and extensive field experiences is a priority – one that is ably supported by coursework with specialists from across the University.
Teach in one of the following subject areas as assigned: Non-Credit Preschool Education, Early Childhood Education Associates Degree, Elementary Education, Middle Level Education, Secondary Education, and Special Education. The position reports to the program director/dean who assigns responsibilities regarding student needs and course outcomes. This is a pool position. Applicants will be contacted as positions become available.
Summary of Job Duties
• Teach assigned course as specified in the course schedule and course letter of assignment.
• Evaluate and select texts and instructional materials; prepare course materials and lesson plans.
• Provide students with approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies, assignments, and evaluation criteria.
• Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles.
• Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, and discussion; provide feedback in a timely manner regarding student progress.
• Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments.
• Maintain records of enrollment, attendance, assessments, and grades; submit rosters and grades by University deadlines.
• Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations, and use feedback to improve course delivery.
• Revise and update course content as needed.
• Attend orientation sessions to become familiar with the University’s mission, teaching philosophy, policies and procedures, and the learning management system.
• Meet with supervisor to discuss all aspects of the course including student progress and curriculum development.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications of instructors teaching both lower and upper level courses leading to an associate or bachelor’s degree requires a master’s degree in the discipline or related field with a minimum of 18 graduate credits in the subject area. Other job-related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Prior teaching experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform the job successfully, the following competencies are required for the essential functions of this position:
• Current knowledge of the relevant discipline.
• Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries.
• Ability to respond to needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment.
• Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles.
• Ability to use technology effectively in teaching.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues.
Special Job Dimensions
Work performed primarily in an office/classroom setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly exhibits digital dexterity when entering data into computer. Required abilities include walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods. Visual demands include close, relatively detailed vision when focusing on a computer screen. Employee regularly talks and hears. Employee occasionally lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Work Schedule Salary $700 per credit hour Benefits Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check, and Drug Screening. Position requires employee complete Arkansas Mandated Reporter training prior to employment.
Open Date Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a pool position. Applicants will be contacted as positions become available.
Anticipated start date EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
UA Fort Smith provides equal employment, admission, and educational opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, or gender identify. The University abides by all applicable employment laws.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, the University is committed to provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees with regard to recruitment, hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, training, fringe benefits and all other aspects of employment.
- Unofficial College Transcripts
- Cover Letter
- Proof of Veteran Status
- Additional Document
- Unofficial College Transcripts - Additional 1
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please list the subject(s) you are interested in teaching:
Non-Credit Preschool Education, Early Childhood Education
Associates Degree, Elementary Education, Middle Level Education,
Secondary Education, and Special Education.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please list your availability to teach: Day, Evening, and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you understand that failure to upload your unofficial
transcript(s) may result in an incomplete application packet?
- * Did you upload your unofficial transcript(s)?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Education Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Curriculum & Instruction Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Other Education Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Special Education Adjunct Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith