Assistant or Advanced Assistant Professor of English (New Media and Digital Humanities)
Department: Literature and Languages
Reports To: Chair, Department of Literature and Languages
Start Date: August 2019
Application Deadline: Full consideration will be given to applications received by October 26, 2018.
The Department of Literature and Languages at Christian Brothers University invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of English with an emphasis in digital studies. We seek a candidate who specializes in one or more of the following areas: digital media/culture, digital methods, new media, critical computation and coding, and/or digital humanities. The faculty member will be asked to contribute broadly to the department, especially through the teaching of upper-division courses that support our programs in rhetoric and digital media (English for Corporate Communications degree), creative writing, and/or literature. Competitive candidates will have experience in working with undergraduate students in developing digital-focused and public-facing projects in the humanities.
We view digital studies as central to our Lasallian commitment to social justice and community engagement and encourage a teaching and research agenda in support of this: whether focused on racial justice, environmental justice, online identity and representation, and/or structural inequality in emergent digital cultures and medias. Rooted in the heart of Memphis, CBU seeks to bring about a more just and prosperous community in a city with a rich cultural history and thriving arts scene.
The Department of Literature and Languages is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and welcomes applicants of all ethnic, racial, and gender identities, and sexual orientations.
Christian Brothers University is a Roman Catholic university with a reputation for excellent teaching in the tradition of the De la Salle Christian Brothers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Professor of English shall be expected to:
- Teach 12 hours per semester (a 4/4 teaching load)
- Develop and teach courses for the majors in English studies, particularly with an emphasis on digital methods and culture
- Teach general education courses in first-year composition and/or general education literature
- Teach Professional Communications and Topics in Media and Rhetoric
- Serve as an academic advisor for students
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain active creative and/or research agenda
- If qualified, teach online courses and/or general education literature courses
- Participate on university committees
- Engage in continuing professional development
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Communications, Digital Humanities, or related subject
- Undergraduate teaching experience required
- Years of service in other academic positions will be considered at the time of hire for those applying with previous experience at rank of Assistant Professor of Visiting Assistant Professor
- To be considered for the appointment of Assistant Professor, the candidate must have Ph.D. in hand by August 15, 2019.
Submit a letter of application, CV with telephone numbers/email addresses of three references, statement of teaching philosophy, 15 page writing sample, evidence of teaching excellence, graduate transcripts, and three confidential letters of recommendation (Interfolio users can put Interfolio-generated email addresses for references in application form). Candidates may also include a statement of diversity. First round interviews will be conducted via Skype. Christian Brothers University offers equal employment opportunity to all applicants for employment, regardless of sex, age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national and ethnic origin or disability.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Memphis
- Communications Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Memphis
- Digital Media Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Memphis
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Memphis
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track Not specified Full Time jobs in Memphis