Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
Working Title Cataloging and Metadata Librarian Department Steely Library Full Time or Part Time? Full Time Position Number 30001575 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
The W. Frank Steely Library at Northern Kentucky University seeks a collaborative, visionary, and service-oriented individual to lead the library’s cataloging and metadata. This full-time faculty position will be responsible for the vision and strategic direction and will provide leadership in metadata creation, organization, application, and management of current and emerging metadata schemas and techniques, such as linked data that supports research assistance and instruction leading to student success. The Cataloging and Metadata Librarian will play an active role in cultivating an environment of diversity and inclusion, especially to first-generation, marginalized and underrepresented students.
The W. Frank Steely Library provides a wide range of library services to support the University’s commitment to its Success by Design strategic framework which promotes student success by embracing inclusiveness, equity, global awareness, and academic needs of students and faculty in each academic college. Library faculty and staff have enhanced traditional services to better address 21st century information needs and are collaborative partners across campus. The library’s twenty faculty members and fifteen staff members are leading the implementation of NKU’s campus-wide Quality Enhancement Plan on Information Literacy and newly created digital repository, and offering an online Bachelor’s degree in library informatics.
NKU is a public comprehensive university located in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area. The university delivers innovative, learner-centered education and engages in impactful scholarly and creative activities, all of which empower students for fulfilling careers and meaningful lives while contributing to the social and economic vitality of the region. NKU has almost 14,000 students, over 2,000 faculty and staff. It offers 79 undergraduate degree programs, master’s degrees in 21 disciplines, graduate certificates in 15 areas, two doctoral programs, a law degree, and in a partnership with the University of Kentucky and St Elizabeth Hospital opened a medical school in the fall of 2019.
• Performs original and copy cataloging for the library’s collections in multiple formats and multiples languages (Roman and non-Roman script) for the library’s collections in the WorldShare Management System and the institutional repository using current metadata standards and emerging metadata such as linked data to support diversity and inclusion.
• Creates and remediates metadata for open access and other freely available resources created by the campus community.
• Compiles and analyzes cataloging and collection statistics and reports.
• Writes, revises, and implements relevant policies and procedures.
• Periodically teaches a course in the Library Informatics Program ( LIN ) on cataloging and metadata.
• Strategizes for optimizing the metadata in the WorldShare Management System, EBSCO Discovery System, the digital repository, and other discovery tools in consultation with colleagues.
• Provides and tracks research help services across a large, complex, and rapidly changing information landscape. This includes delivering research help via appointments, face-to-face within or outside the Library, and virtual services (using IM, email, etc.).
• Advocates for needed standards through professional association work and other channels.
• Investigates, reviews, and implements ideas on new roles existing metadata can play and investigates possible means for achieving these.
• Participates in professional, library, and university service and engagement activities as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to collaborate and to consult with various stakeholders to promote the discoverability of library resources.
• Experience in using, interpreting, and applying traditional metadata standards and schema used for print, digital, and archival collections as well as emerging metadata schema and techniques, such as linked data.
• Demonstrated proficiency with OCLC and an ILS / LSP .
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong problem-solving and customer service skills.
• Ability to cultivate an environment of diversity and inclusion.
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program or an ALA approved foreign equivalent.
• One year of experience applying metadata, such as MARC or Dublin Core.
• Experience working in an academic library environment.
• Two years or more experience applying metadata, such as MARC or Dublin Core.
• Demonstrated ability to lead projects related to cataloging and metadata.
Applications submitted by March 1, 2020 will receive full consideration.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Master's Degree
Requisition Number 2019F456 Job Open Date 01/08/2020 Job Close Date Open Until Filled No Quick Link http://jobs.nku.edu/postings/9152 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Explain any experience you have working with linked data.
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe in detail your experience with an institutional
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe any library project you may have led.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport