Assistant Professor, Western Music
School of Arts
Department: Communication Arts
Expected start date: Fall 2018
Deadline for applying: March 30, 2018
The Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and
Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invites
applicants to a tenure-track faculty position in Western Music at
the Assistant Professor rank. The department is interested in
applicants able to balance theory, research, critical inquiry,
performing arts, especially western music, teach various
undergraduate courses, and contribute to developing curricula and
programs in the Department of Communication Arts.
- Teach on both campuses professional, research and theoretical
courses in western music and other performing arts areas, from
introductory to advanced levels.
- Advise and mentor students and support student production
projects and activities.
- Actively engage in scholarly and artistic production in music
and performing arts, particularly adaptations of Western music and
performance to the Lebanese and Arab context.
- Engage in service to the university and the department,
particularly related to fundraising, organizing performances, and
developing new programs at the undergraduate and graduate
- Doctoral degree in music arts.
- Evidence of a strong research and performance agenda and
- Evidence of successful and extensive university teaching of
- Evidence of creative/professional output and practical
experience in the field.
- Strong international network of connections with professional
- Demonstrated ability to play a Western musical instrument at a
- Fluent in Arabic.
- Ability to play a musical instrument that complements and does
not duplicate other music faculty in the department.
- Experience in Western music and other related specialized
- Evidence of fund raising abilities and experience in developing
and leading major performing arts projects and international
- Strong international network with musicians and performing
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based
liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research,
professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students
to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready
to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department
offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film,
communication, and the performing arts. The department is dedicated
to excellence in the production and diffusion of knowledge and the
critical practice of media, film and the performing arts. It aims
to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of
reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate
ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various
communication fields and specialties. Information about the
department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity
Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of
the State University of New York. Information about the University
can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a
letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research
interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to:
email@example.com. The CV should
include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references.
The university reserves the right to contact additional references
with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-19
in the subject line of the email.