PT - Professional Writing Tutor
Posting Number AS79P Position Title PT - Professional Writing Tutor Contract Length N/A Class Summary
Professional tutors assist and coach College of the Mainland students and community members in becoming more successful and independent writers. Professional tutors help integrate effective learning and study strategies for their students, while at the same time helping to clarify and reinforce course content, assignments and material.
Candidates Eligible to Apply Internal/External Position Type Non-Exempt Staff Employment Status Part Time Position Funding Type Regular
Bachelors in English Literature or Composition required. Will consider applicants with a Bachelors in Speech or Communication if they possess tutoring experience at the collegiate level. Some tutoring or teaching experience required.
Masters in English Literature or Composition. Tutoring or teaching experience at a Community College.
Minimum Knowledge & Skills
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to tutor students in a variety of courses that require writing.
• Proficient in MLA, APA and Chicago citation styles.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in basic computer skills.
• Ability to tutor students online using asynchronous and synchronous techniques.
• Ability to help students with speeches, resumes and mock interviews.
• Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
• Records maintenance skills.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills
• Experience working with WC Online or other online tutoring platforms.
• Fluency with MS Office, including MS Word and PowerPoint; ability to learn additional software as needed.
• Provide content and skill-development tutoring to students individually or in small groups.
• As an embedded tutor, applicant will attend all classes as requested by instructor, complete assignments and assist instructor as needed.
• Maintain a tutoring schedule as needed.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of tutoring sessions.
• Attend and complete required tutor training and professional development sessions.
• Develop a good understanding and knowledge of college services, supports, and resources.
• Make appropriate student referrals to college offices, departments or professionals, when necessary.
• Work with instructors as needed to receive information on course topics.
• Maintain strict confidentiality of all student information, material, and discussions shared in the tutoring relationship.
• Perform additional related job duties as required.
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Work requires stooping, crouching, talking, seeing, hearing, repetitive motions.
• Work requires sedentary work/sitting up to 50% of the time.
Minimum Salary Range $15.50/hour Mid Point Salary Range $15.50/hour Maximum Salary Range Posting Open Date 10/23/2018 Posting Close Date Posting Will Be Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Must be able to work evenings and weekends. Willing to work as an embedded tutor in co-requisite and credit English courses.
This is a part-time staff pool. Applications are considered throughout the academic year and reviewed based on departmental needs. Should a review of your application result in the intent to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email for an interview.
College of the Mainland is an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, disability or veteran status.
College of the Mainland does not discriminate on the basis of disability in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of its programs and activities, as specified by federal laws and regulations within Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and 1992.
Quick Link to Share for Direct Access to Posting https://jobs.com.edu/postings/1645 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- Are you able to work evenings?
- Are you available to work weekends?
- Are you willing to be an embedded tutor?
- Transcripts (1 of 3)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Texas City
- Humanities Not specified Part Time jobs in Texas City
- English & Literature Not specified Part Time jobs in Texas City
- English as a Second Language Not specified Part Time jobs in Texas City
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Texas City