Learning Support Specialist II- Writing Center
Requisition ID: req1093
Job Title: Learning Support Specialist II- Writing Center
Location: Columbus Campus
Employment Type: Staff
Employment Status: Part-Time Professional
Bargaining Unit: Non-Bargaining Unit
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation Type: Hourly
Schedule: Hours vary depending upon tutoring schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience, and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1) Supplements students' understanding and command of the course material for which the students are seeking assistance outside of class. Tutors any topic within discipline area of expertise.
2) Maintains a thorough knowledge of the course material, as well as multiple instructional methodologies to accommodate various student learning styles.
3) Helps students to develop and apply appropriate learning and study skills.
4) Meets with students at appointed time (either in-person or online) and maintains documentation of all tutoring interactions.
5) Generates department reports for tutoring and maintains documentation of department tutoring interactions.
6) Provides course instructor(s) with communication/information that can be used to facilitate student learning of course content.
7) Attends tutor training sessions as required by the Department Chair or Departmental Tutoring Coordinator.
8) Holds special study sessions upon the request of instructors, students, Department Tutoring Coordinator, or Department Chair.
9) Learns, becomes proficient in, and implements tutoring software that is used at Columbus State Community College.
Usual Physical Demands: The following physical demands are typically exhibited by position incumbents performing this job's essential duties and responsibilities. These physical demands are not, and should not be construed to be job qualification standards, but are illustrated to help the College, employee and/or applicant identify where reasonable accommodations may need to be considered.
While performing the duties of this job, the LSSII regularly stands walks and sits and uses hands to handle and control equipment. The LSSII speaks, writes and uses a computer on a regular basis. The LSSII occasionally reaches with hands or arms, stoops, kneels, crouches or crawls. The LSSII occasionally exhibits digital dexterity and eye-hand coordinating when performing tasks. The LSSII regularly lifts or exerts force on items, with varying weight up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: Normal working conditions in which student management and engaging with multiple aspects of a discipline are expected.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of: subject matter s/he will tutor. Skill in: communication and interpersonal (both written and oral). Ability to: engage a variety of tutoring strategies with appropriate sensitivity to students' various learning styles; work with individual students and with small groups of students; work with students from diverse social and academic backgrounds and those who have special learning needs; learn, become proficient at, and implement tutoring software used by the department and/or Columbus State Community College; take appropriate initiative and accept responsibility within the job parameters of an LSSII.
Minimum Qualifications:Master's degree in English or a related field and two or more years of teaching and/or tutoring experience in a higher education environment. State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to work site(s).