Amherst has taken a leadership role among highly selective liberal
arts colleges and universities in successfully diversifying the
racial, socio-economic, and geographic profile of its student body.
The College is similarly committed to enriching its educational
experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration and staff.
Amherst College invites applications for the Director of Systems
and Networking position. The Director of Systems and Networking is
a full-time, year-round position, starting at $135k-commensurate
with experience. Given Amherst's distinction as one of the most
diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, the successful
candidate will demonstrate the ways in which they bring value and
will work toward supporting a broadly diverse community.
The Director of Systems & Networking provides strategic and
operational leadership for the College's information technology
(IT) infrastructure services, including server, storage, wired and
wireless networking, information security, telecommunications, the
College's internet connection, several data centers, and
Reporting to the Associate Chief Information Officer (ACIO), the
Director oversees the day-to-day operation of the server, network,
and telecommunications infrastructures, assists in developing the
strategic direction for infrastructure enhancements, and leads and
supervises a diverse high-performance team. The Director leads in
establishing overall technical and network architectures;
implements security and operational requirements and standards;
oversees ongoing system, network, telephony and data center
operations; develops and executes annual budgets; and enhances
current department strategies, standards, processes, and
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises a diverse team to design/engineer infrastructure and
production upgrades and initiatives, help select technologies, as
well as providers/products/sourcing options in the service of the
college's short and long-term strategic goals.
- Works towards an inclusive work culture that fosters a
collaborative environment and embraces diversity, equity and
- Manage and oversee major infrastructure and service upgrades,
including proper testing, scheduling, and communications.
- Provide oversight and manage workflow to ensure deadlines are
met. Report on projects, staff and departmental work status
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies and procedures for
infrastructure administration and ensure compliance with
organizational standards and industry best practices and
- Work closely with the ACIO on technology infrastructure
strategy, solutions, resources, budget, and compliance.
- Lead the development, maintenance, testing and evaluation of
appropriate disaster recovery and business continuity plans for the
College's IT infrastructure.
- Develop, oversee, and maintain up-to-date system and network
documentation and inventories.
- Guide evaluation of on-premise and cloud-based systems for
applicability in the College enterprise.
- Ensure secure, highly resilient, available, and performant
server, storage, and network infrastructures.
- Manage the relationship between the College and various managed
- Work with ACIO to Develop key performance indicators for the
network, servers, and storage. Build and maintain processes to
- Work with CISO to mature security practices, assure the College
infrastructure adheres to industry standards and compliance
requirements, and assist with incident response, business
continuity, and disaster recovery efforts as needed.
- Maintain enterprise servers and perform hardware and software
maintenance operations including installation, configuration and
support of server hardware, software and data backup and disaster
- Proactively monitor and tune server and network
- Perform Windows and Linux server administration and
- Design, troubleshoot and maintain enterprise virtualization and
- Implement and maintain cloud-based systems
- Implementation and maintenance of enterprise SAN hardware and
- Arrange for or perform daily system monitoring; verify
integrity and availability of hardware, server resources, systems
and key processes.
- Bachelor's Degree, or 10 years of relevant experience in lieu
of a degree
- 8 years of relevant experience
- Strong leadership, team building and supervisory skills and
- Project management experience supporting large, complex
- Broad and deep knowledge of infrastructure technologies and IT
- Experience building, maintaining and regularly testing business
continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Experience with systems authentication integration practices
including AD, LDAP, and SSO technologies such SAML.
- Excellent organizational, time management, problem solving and
- Strong written and verbal communication, collaboration and
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse
- Project management certification
- Knowledge of ITIL concepts and best practices
- Experience managing data center facilities including UPS, HVAC
and backup generators.
- Experience with data center design
- Experience with formal project management methodologies
- Experience working in a higher education environment
Amherst College offers many opportunities for professional growth
and development, continued learning, and career advancement.
Amherst College requires all employees to be fully vaccinated
for COVID-19 (medical and religious exemptions may
Amherst College is pleased to provide a comprehensive, highly
competitive benefits package that meets the needs of staff and
faculty and their families. Benefits are an important part of our
overall compensation, so it is critical that you review all of the
options to ensure it meets your total compensation requirements.
Click here for Benefits Information.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and cover letter
online at https://amherst.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/Amherst_Jobs
. Please be sure to upload all requested documents prior to
clicking Submit. Applications cannot be revised once submitted.
(Current employees and students should apply by clicking on the
Career icon from their Workday home screen)
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
To find information about job group and level (JGL) follow this