Director of Operations, Office of Research
Full or Part Time
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
The Office of Research at Chapman University seeks a Director of
Administrative Operations who reports to the Vice President of
Research. The Director is a member of the OOR director team and
works collaboratively with the team to achieve the goals and
strategic priorities of the OOR and VPR . The Director’s primary
responsibilities include management of the Office of Research’s
operational and financial operations.
Financial responsibilities include but are not limited to the
following: review and approve daily financial transactions:
- Reconcile accounts
- Prepare budget financial reports
- Forecast quarterly indirect cost income and expenditures
- Manage internal award budgets
- Assist VPR with enhancement requests
- Work collaboratively with academic and administrative offices
across campus on financial matters related to OOR .
Operation responsibilities include but are not limited to the
- Manage day-to-day operations of the OOR
- Understand and comply with university policies and procedures
pertinent to operations
- Work with Human Resources to hire, supervise, and evaluate OOR
office staff and student worker pool
- Develop and update staff job descriptions
- Work with OOR Directors to understand and support their
- Prioritize operation workflow in OOR to ensure deadlines
associated with operations are met
- Oversee the OOR website to ensure information is
- Additionally, the Director will support the VPR on special
projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting or three years of
financial management experience in a complex administrative
- Minimum 3 years experience overseeing departmental operations,
including personnel supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member and team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills and deep familiarity with excel and
its advanced functions related to financial tracking.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, on multiple
projects, and prioritize work to meet deadlines and achieve OOR
goals and objectives.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- MBA or master’s degree in finance or accounting.
- Prior work experience at a university in a supervisory or
- Familiarity with CU software and management platforms, e.g.
PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleAdmin, Concur, etc.
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently
authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and
Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion
and outcomes of a criminal background screening, credit cheeck, and
returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original
acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.
Minimum Number of References
Maximum Number of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1