City Colleges of Chicago (CCC)
, the largest community
college system in Illinois, is made up of seven colleges and five
satellite sites, providing more than 70,000 students each year
access to a quality, affordable education.
Reporting to a Human Resources Business Partner
at a Harold Washington College, the Human Resources (HR) Specialist
provides professional HR services to staff and faculty and
facilitates the coordination, administration, and delivery of HR
programs. The HR Specialist participates in integrating HR
initiatives and programs with business plans to achieve the
strategic goals and operational objectives of the college. Performs
related duties as required.
- Supports and coordinates the hiring process for faculty and
non-faculty vacancies. Partners with Talent Acquisition team to
fulfill hiring needs.
- Participates in the interviewing and selection process as
- Coordinates the new hire/ onboarding process, reviewing and
processing required forms, responding to inquiries, providing new
employee orientation, and ensuring a smooth onboarding of
- Addresses employee and labor relations issues including
progressive discipline, reductions in force, and explanations of
and compliance with collective bargaining agreements and Board
- Coaches and counsels managers on performance management,
employee relations issues, adherence to collective bargaining
agreements, and HR processes and procedures.
- Interprets and explains HR policies and regulations relating to
employee and labor relations, salary administration, leaves of
absence, and related employment matters to employees.
- Consults with management to develop and implement personnel
processes and procedures.
- Assists in delivering HR programs in areas including learning
and organizational development, performance management, employee
relations, and labor relations.
- Delivers high levels of customer service when responding to
inquiries regarding policy, pay and other HR procedures.
- Conducts exit interviews with department employees to gather
feedback and makes suggestions to improve the employee
- Analyzes HR workforce trends and identifies areas for process
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or universityin
Human Resources, Business Administration, Management or a related
field. An equivalent combination of training and experiencewill be
taken into considerationin lieu of a college degree.
- Master’s degree preferred
- PHR/SPHR and/or SHRM-CP/SCP desirable
- Three years of work experience in human resources, customer
service, administration or a related area of work.
- Familiarity and/or experience working with PeopleSoft HCM
ortalent management systems (i.e. Taleo) highly desirable
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel,
- Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees
within 6 months of hire.