The University of Colorado Boulder is searching for an
! The purpose of this position is to function as
a Journey-level electrician in the Facilities Operations Electric
Shop. This role will focus on the installation, repair and
maintenance of electrical systems and components, preventative
maintenance of electrical distribution system components and the
maintenance and repair of walkway and roadway lighting.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
is responsible for the overall
physical development and maintenance of the campus. The mission of
the department is to provide a safe physical environment that
promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Installation, Maintenance and Repair of Electrical Systems
Preventative Maintenance/Operation of Electrical Distribution
- Be responsible for the installation, repair, replacement,
maintenance, and troubleshooting of building electrical systems and
components. This function includes; the installation of wire ways,
the maintenance, operation and installation of VFD (variable
frequency drive) units, the installation, repair and replacement of
motors, troubleshooting failed electrical circuits, collaborating
with the HVAC Shop to troubleshoot mechanical system components,
and installing test equipment to determine loads on circuits.
Walkway and Roadway Lighting
- Assist the Utilities Division with switching and responding to
emergencies related to the Campus’ medium voltage electrical
- Perform preventive maintenance, testing and repair to the
secondary electrical distribution system and components, for
example; the building’s switch gear, motor control centers, panel
boards, UPSs, backup generators and automatic transfer switches.
The building’s secondary distribution system operates at 480 volts
Paperwork, Scheduling, and Other Duties
- Be responsible for the installation, maintenance, repair,
testing and operation of the Campus’ walkway and roadway lighting.
There are about 1,000 exterior pole lights and several hundred
exterior building lights this role is responsible to maintain,
repair and operate. Test all exterior light circuits
What You Should Know
- Complete material issuance requests and purchase requests to
procure any material needed to support work load. The position is
limited to a $1,000 per event purchase at the FM Construction
Stores without the approval of their supervisor.
- When closing work orders, the incumbent is required to include
closing comments and ensure any repair work orders are
- Respond to other duties as assigned on an “as needed” basis;
this may also include the alternative work schedules.
- Drive a University vehicle, carry tools and materials, and
actively participate in safety meetings.
- Follow all safety policies, procedures, and guidelines, as well
as adhere to Standing Operating Procedures for assignments and use
of equipment. Participate in and complete all safety
- Report potential safety hazards, mistakes, accidents and/or
procedural violations to supervisor in a timely manner.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- The work schedule is Monday - Friday from 7:00 am - 3:30 pm.
This position may be required to work weekends, alternate or
extended shifts at the discretion of the work unit supervisor.
- This is a full time, in-person position.
- The annual salary for this position is $72,454.32
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be curious. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Current, valid licensure as a journeyman electrician from the
Colorado Electrical Board.
- Must be a Colorado resident to apply.
- Must have a valid Colorado driver's license.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to work successfully independently and as part of a
- The ability to communicate effectively and establish
- Proven problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making
- Previous experience in a Higher Education setting.
- Lighting Controls.
- VFD & Motor experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume that includes d ate ranges and whether the
position was full-time or part-time.
- Optional: A cover letter that specifically tells us
how your background and experience align with the requirements,
qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
- DD-214 for veteran applicants.
- Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points
within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would
like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for
preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this
posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy
to email@example.com or
send via fax at 303-492-4693 and reference the job to which you are
- If using the educational substitution for experience :
proof of degree or transcripts.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 10, 2022
Application materials will not be accepted via
email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff
This position is designated “essential/critical services.” The
incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus
emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or
man-made event) and report to work for regularly assigned shifts
during emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: