Stage Services Assistants (Stagehands) are the backbone of
production services operations, creating the event aesthetic for
whatever that event might be – whether a Broadway tour or a Town
All stagehands will be based on competency and asked to work on a
variety of tasks within any of the theatrical departments
(lighting, sound, staging, and video). These tasks are based on
experience and job level; tasks may include but are not limited
- • Deploying and coiling cables for various theatrical equipment
(microphones, speakers, lighting instruments, etc.).
• Operate system boards (lighting, audio) for simple
• Hands-on work with lighting instruments and their accessories
(c-clamps, side arms, gel frames, irises, etc.).
• Under specific direction, safely and efficiently place equipment
(sound equipment, lighting equipment, other performance support
items) on, around, or near stage or event spaces as is
required/requested by the client.
• Assist departments leads with system preparations for production
(lighting focus, speaker and microphone placement, camera placement
and focus, moving or adjusting soft goods)
- Under supervision, setup staging, seating, and banquet tables
to match client requests.
- Operate specialized equipment including but not limited
• Playback software
• Modular platform systems
• Auxiliary or modular seating systems (retractable risers,
scaffolding, pit sleds)
- Loading and unloading items and equipment from semi/box trucks
- Cleaning and maintaining the performance and presentation
spaces before, during, and after events. Duties include but are not
• Trash collection
• Provide courteous and expeditious customer service for patrons
All stagehands are representatives of the Touhill Performing Arts
Center and employees of the University of Missouri Saint Louis.
When working, all stagehands are expected to comport themselves in
a professional manner in keeping with the core values of both the
University of Missouri Saint Louis and the Touhill Performing Arts
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. The
University will not sponsor applicants for this position for
Hours are variable
Pay commensurate with education and experience.
Hiring Range: $18 - $22 hourly
University Title: Stage Services Assistant
High school diploma or equivalent and some work experience from
which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is
• Bachelor’s degree in technical theater.
• Proficiency in theatrical production specializing in one of the
key departments (lighting, audio, video, carpentry)
• Experience running a crew or team in a professional theatrical
• Experience and comfort with working on elevated positions.
• Experience in event or theatrical setup and production (any area
• Proficiency operating types of theatrical equipment during a
performance or event.
• Proficiency troubleshooting errors and issues types of theatrical
• Experience working independently.
• Problem solving skills.
• Good communication skills and customer service experience.
• Ability to transport objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
• Ability to work long and unusual hours, including late at
• Willingness to work hard and take direction.
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter,
resume, and list of three references with contact information) into
one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB.
Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.) to the
UMSL Job site: Http://umsl.jobs.
For questions about the application process, please call (314)
516-5805. If you are experiencing technical problems, please email
This position is not eligible for University benefits. Individuals
in non benefit eligible positions may choose to participate in the
Tax Deferred Annuity Plan (403b). For information about this plan,
please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at https://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not
be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of
religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military
organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of
Homeland Security of the United States of America.
English Version EEO is the Law Spanish Version EEO is the Law Chinese Version