- Bard College
- New York, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jun 17, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Humanities, Religion, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Adult & Continuing Education Programs, Student Affairs, Minority & Multicultural Affairs, Religious Affairs & Ministry
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Bard College, a liberal arts college on the Hudson River, is a private institution working in the public interest.
Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/108628
Bard College welcomes applications for a full-time Muslim Chaplain to join the Interfaith Chaplaincy of the College. The Bard Chaplaincy seeks to provide pastoral care to the entire College community, offering counsel, support, and encouragement to individuals as well as comfort and wisdom to the institution as a whole. The Chaplaincy is actively involved in inter-religious and interfaith activities, in the planning and leadership of dialogue and reflection among religious groups and traditions, and in collaborative ventures of humanitarian service. In addition to interfaith and campus wide activities, we seek a chaplain who is committed to helping students grow and flourish within the Muslim faith while living and learning in a secular and multicultural campus environment.
The Muslim Chaplain will be a resource for students who are practitioners or interested in learning more about the Islamic faith. The Muslim Chaplain will preside over or arrange for the religious life and practices of the Muslim student community and the wider campus; provide pastoral care and guidance, create community building opportunities and instruction on topics related to faith and spirituality experiences. The Muslim Chaplain will also plan and help lead the celebration of Muslim holidays, including but not limited to Ramadan and Eid.
The Muslim Chaplain will be invited to teach within the academic curriculum of the College and engage in other on-campus activities, depending upon the qualifications and interests of the candidate and the needs of the College. This is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the Chaplain of the College/Dean of Community Life.
The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion.
- Master's degree in religion, Islamic studies, divinity, or the equivalent
- Pastoral care training,
- At least 3 years in residential college campus chaplaincy or work relevant to similarly diverse Muslim constituents
- Evidence of professional preparation for chaplaincy and administrative/advisory experience for the support of student community engagement
- Familiarity with a diverse higher education environment and with experience working with the spiritual and emotional developmental issues of young adults
- Leadership experience in youth and young adult work, higher education experience preferred
- Demonstrated interfaith work and spiritual care that respects diversity.
- Demonstrated understanding and ability to function within a secular institutional culture and system
- Demonstrated aptitude for dealing with confidential and sensitive issues with significant experience in campus religious life
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Please submit a cover letter, CV, diversity statement and the contact information for three professional references to Interfolio at: http://apply.interfolio.com/108628
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert