Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
About the Department/Unit
American University’s School of International Service (SIS) is a
top-10 school of international affairs located in Washington, DC.
Since our founding in 1957, we have answered President Dwight D.
Eisenhower's call to prepare students of international affairs to
"wage peace." We do so because we believe the world needs leaders
who are ready to serve. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core
values at the American University School of International Service,
and we encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Incumbent functions as a Career Advisor in the Office of Career
Development in the School of International Service (SIS) and will
be responsible for supporting the career development of SIS
students, with a focus on graduate and online student populations.
Provides in-depth, customized career coaching/advising/counseling
and facilitating opportunities for self-reflection, career
exploration, career planning, professional polish, experiential
learning, and post-graduate pursuits.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This position reports directly to the Director, Career
Education & Employer Relations.
- This position works in close collaboration with other career
advisors in the SIS Office of Career Development.
Required Education and Experience
- Full Time, 35 hours/week.
- Coordinator/Analyst A.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of progressively responsible
work in career development, student affairs, employer relations,
international affairs, or other relevant field.
- Experience coaching/advising/counseling students on career
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement projects involving
multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced, diverse
- Extremely well-organized with strong attention to detail and
- Ability to set and follow timelines for programs and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally and to establish
rapport and relate well to a diverse population of colleagues and
- Service-oriented approach and polished professional
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Ability to identify where a person is in the career development
process and provide appropriate strategies to facilitate progress
- Understanding of the basics of student development theory,
learning styles, and strategies for instruction.
- Experience addressing the developmental needs of diverse
- Knowledge of current employment trends in the public, private,
and non-profit sectors.
- Certification in coaching/advising/counseling.
- Certification in MBTI, Strong, or other relevant career
- Previous experience in international affairs.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive .
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented
by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your
employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff
Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement
entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: