Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college
located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines
academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong
institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and
nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the
goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the
nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College
is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and
world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with
gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in
the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in
the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings -
Through Swarthmore College's referral program, new hires in Dining
Services will receive a $500 bonus award after completing six
months of employment, if they were referred by a current Swarthmore
staff member. For more information on the employee referral program
at Swarthmore College, please visit
The Associate Residential Manager assists the Residential Manager
in all aspects of managing all service and personnel associated
with the front facing operations of the dining hall. Assist with
recruiting, hiring, scheduling, evaluating and training all front
of house staff. Provide to the dining program outstanding customer
service. Assisting with the development of hourly staff schedules.
Be the main point of contact for the front of the house operations
when the residential Manager is not on site. Be sure proper
inventory is maintained at all times in order that the lines are
outfitted correctly. Provide the leadership and coaching and
training necessary for all staff members. Work with students who
have documented food allergens to ensure they have access to
nutritional foods related to their food allergies or intolerance.
Work in partnership with the Executive Chef on dessert ideas and
implementation for the Daily Kneads platform. Work with the
Executive Chef to ensure the Allergen Station menus are meeting
requirements for the top allergens and offering a varied menu to
meet the needs that students require. Work in partnership with the
Student Disabilities Office in communicating and setting
expectations with students who identify with special food
intolerance and allergies.
• Responsible for working with students' on special diets and
allergen needs as the liaison for Dining Services to the Student
• Assist with managing student worker positions for the Dining
• Assist with coach and developing front of house staff on
standardization of line presentation and proper portions as
outlined by the Assistant Director of Residential Dining.
• Oversee daily operations of the Dining Hall to ensure guidelines,
standards and goals are being met and continually challenged
including: sanitation, safety, customer service, high quality
production standards and presentation, financial
• Assist in creating employee scheduling to ensure that budget is
met and staff coverage of the operation is met.
• Training and coordinating service staff through written and
• Manages the Line Servers and other front house employees during
• Perform all duties assigned with opening and closing procedures
for the unit.
• Interact with & maintain a hands on relationship with hourly
staff as is needed to understand and evaluate all areas of the
operation – including efficiency, morale, skill levels, meeting
• Running shifts and hands on working on the floor during meal
periods to ensure operations are meeting the guidelines and goals
of the department. Overseeing all aspects of your areas within the
Operation on a daily basis.
• Assisting in identifying new menu items, food concepts and new
points of service with development of customer surveys and engaging
in focus groups for operations.
• Provides education, training and professional development of all
staff. This includes revising job summaries and creating processes
and procedures for efficient operations
• Professionally and effectively communicate with and provide
information to other departments and campus staff as needed and/or
• Be intuitive, flexible and available at all times to assist
wherever there is a need.
• Procuring decorations for special themed events in the dining
• Assist in overseeing the quality of service, cleanliness, and
sanitation throughout the Dining Hall operation.
• Improve and ensure customer service goals are being met.
• Ensure staff is in proper uniform and is following proper
procedures during shift
• Effectively performs the following:
o Provide fair, constructive, and timely feedback and coaching to
members of the team towards performance expectations and
o Continually assess performance through established standards and
applies corrective measures as required. Communicate with the
Residential Manager/Assistant Director of Residential Dining/HR to
escalate performance issues.
o With assistance from the Assistant Director/Residential Manager,
follows disciplinary procedures as established in accordance with
the employee handbook.
o Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their
duties or delegated tasks.
o Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease
turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work
o Participate in supervisory training opportunities.
o Communicate key issues and information to staff members.
• High School degree with 5 years of experience or Associates
degree in culinary or business with 3 or more years of related
• Serv-safe Certification
• PA Child abuse and FBI Clearance
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of human resources and fiscal
• Demonstrated leadership in developing vision and strategic
• Experience with human resource management skills, including the
selection, training, supervision and evaluation of professional
exempt staff and nonexempt staff.
• Experience in large scale catering and event experience.
• Experience in budget development, financial systems and operating
• Outstanding communication skills including interpersonal
communication, writing, public speaking and presenting, teaching
• Proficiency in Microsoft office, e-mail, CBORD system (or
others), Recipe software, Inventory systems, Timekeeping systems,
and Catering systems software.
• Demonstrated experience in managing food costs and labor
• Demonstrated problem-solving ability and strong commitment to
customer service in a diverse community.
• Demonstrated record of teamwork, collaboration and partnership
with numerous operations, services, colleagues and programs.
• To have working knowledge in a large commercial restaurant,
hotel, or catering establishment.
• Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 25 lbs.
• Ability to carry heavy objects in close quarters and on
• Ability to carry objects for extended periods of time
• Ability to perform kneeling, bending, squatting motions for
• Ability to work in kitchen conditions with long periods of
Diverse duties require the ability to change routine frequently.
Safety in the job is paramount. Must be available to support 7 day
a week operation. Work may require time outside of the normal work
day. Ability to work with a diverse community including faculty,
students and staff is important.
• Bachelor’s degree in food service administration, institutional
management, nutrition, dietetics or related area.
• 2 or more years of progressively more responsible supervisory and
administrative experience in a high volume food service operation
that offers a varying daily menu.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from
candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with
demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
Jul 28 2022 Eastern Daylight Time