Dean, College of Humanities, Business & Socie
- Kentucky State University
- Kentucky, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jun 13, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Academic Administration, Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents, Faculty Affairs, Deans, Executive, Provosts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
TITLE: Dean, College of Humanities, Business, and Society
DEPARTMENT: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Provost/Vice-President for Academic Affairs
EFFECTIVE DATE: TBD
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
Kentucky State University seeks an accomplished academic leader to serve as Dean of the College of Humanities, Business, and Society. This is a 12-month position, carrying an academic appointment at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. The position is open until filled.
KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY
Since its charter in 1886, Kentucky State University, located in the state capital of Frankfort, has grown and evolved to become the state’s unique, small, liberal studies institution. Kentucky State University has the distinction of being only the second state-supported institution of higher learning in Kentucky and one of two HBCUs in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Kentucky State University is a public, comprehensive, historically black land-grant university committed to advancing the Commonwealth of Kentucky, enhancing society, and impacting individuals by providing quality teaching with a foundation in liberal studies, scholarly research, and public service to enable productive lives within the diverse global economy.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting directly to the Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is the College’s chief academic officer providing leadership and advocacy for: strategic and budgetary planning; faculty and staff recruitment, development, and evaluation; promoting excellence in teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and research; university and community relations; curricular and fiscal management; enrollment planning; student recruitment and retention; program review; and accreditation.
In addition, the Dean actively encourages and supports cross-department and cross-College collaboration in teaching, creative activity, and scholarship. The Dean serves as a member of the Academic Affairs leadership team working collaboratively with a highly collegial team of deans and academic affairs administrators.
The College of Humanities, Business, and Society includes the Schools of Public Administration, Business, Behavioral and Social Sciences, Social Work, Criminal Justice, and Humanities and Performing Arts.
Information on the College can be found here: https:// www.kysu.edu/academics/college-hbs/index.php
This position is responsible for directing the operations and programs for the College of Humanities, Business, and Society. The position requires knowledge of higher education, strong management skills, and innovative approaches to serving the needs of students and the community.
The Dean will perform a wide variety of tasks to ensure effective and efficient academic programming and growth, and campus operations. Additionally, the Dean will support leadership in the development and integration of academic programs, monitoring and directing the flow of services to all students, faculty, and staff to ensure operational procedures are being followed, and seek continuous improvement regarding those procedures throughout the campus operation. The position may serve as an evening and weekend resource to external and internal constituent groups as required and other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advance the mission and vision of the University and the College
- Build strong collaborative relationships with other units on campus
- Demonstrate an understanding of new teaching and research paradigms in the humanities, performing arts, business, and professionally focused graduate and undergraduate programs
- Make effective decisions with college faculty and staff input
- Oversee faculty and staff recruitment, development, evaluation, and employee relations
- Oversee the educational effectiveness of the College’s academic programs through the assessment of student learning and program review and renewal processes
- Participate in university and community relations and leadership development/fundraising efforts for the College
- Promote excellence and innovation in the scholarship areas of teaching, creative and research activities, professional application, and university service
- Promote interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary, inter-college collaboration, cooperation, and research internally and with external
- Provide leadership and advocacy for strategic and budgetary planning
- Provide oversight of academic programs and curricula, including upholding standards of rigor and academic excellence
- Earned doctorate from an accredited institution or appropriate terminal degree in a field represented in the College
- Leadership in a field represented in the College
- Qualification for a faculty appointment at an advanced rank within one of the departments in the College
- At least three years of administrative experience as dean, associate dean, department chair, or comparable position.
- Experience in humanities and social science program review and accreditation activities that may include NASPAA, NASM, ACBSP, CSWE, and APA.
- A record of supporting faculty research and development
- An understanding and appreciation of the role of scholarly research in the teaching and learning process, at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- Demonstrate ability to interpret educational accrediting regulations, policies, and standards
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, policy development, and budget oversight
- Evidence of effective and ethical and collegial collaboration as a member of an academic administrative team
- Evidence of effective faculty leadership and management through collaborative and shared decision-making
- Evidence of excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Experience enhancing community relations and promoting the role of the College on the campus and externally, including fundraising
- Experience in administering or working with programs that serve an educationally, ethnically, and linguistically diverse student population consistent with the University's mission, vision, and values
- Good problem solving, technical and analytical abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills, good judgment, and an ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; A high level of integrity and professional accountability
The employee must meet the physical demands and work environment of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please complete the online application form on the Kentucky State University Office of Human Resources webpage.
- KENTUCKY STATE UNIVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert