The College of Education (COE) invites applications for Chair of
the Department of Teaching and Leading. The department seeks a
visionary leader to support its growth. The Department of Teaching
and Leading is a unique combination of initial certification
programs (elementary, middle grades, secondary, and special
education), Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program (Master and
initial certification combined), online Masters’ programs in
Instruction (M.Ed.), Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Educational
Leadership, and Education Specialist (Ed.S.) degree in Educational
Leadership. Additionally, the department offers several
endorsements and certificate only programs at the graduate level.
These vibrant innovative programs are meeting the needs of 21st
century educators and leaders throughout the state of Georgia and
The department prides itself on excellence in teaching, close
interaction with students through advising, mentoring of graduate
researchers, cross-disciplinary interaction with faculty from other
departments, and peer support/collaboration. The faculty engage in
a variety of research projects ranging from examining social
justice issues in social studies curriculum, access to education
for foster children, exploring multi-sensory environments for early
childhood learning, value-creation in education, and engaging
prospective teachers in scientific modeling and empathetic
Reporting directly to the Dean of the College of Education, the
Chair will be a dynamic and accomplished leader who will offer
outstanding governance in departmental administrative, financial,
and programmatic components. The Chair will further develop a
climate for continued growth of the educational, research, and
service missions of the department. Additional duties will include
advocating for the department faculty, staff, and students;
supporting and working with the Associate Dean in the accreditation
process; and managing and allocating resources.
- Oversees all departmental activities, consults with faculty in
outlining and promoting internal departmental policies; ensures
compliance with departmental, college, university, and Board of
Regents (BOR) policies.
- Assumes responsibility for the quality of the instruction,
research, and service programs conducted in the department and
presents an annual report to the Dean of the College outlining both
targeted and accomplished teaching, research, and service
activities of the department.
- Provides mentoring and support to promote career advancement of
department faculty, conducts annual assessments of progress toward
identified goals, and assists in identifying resources to foster
continued growth and development.
- Recruits part time faculty to support instruction.
- Serves as a liaison to other departments and offices of the
university, as well as represents the department in all official
communications with senior leaders, students, and alumni.
- Oversees the assignment of teaching, schedules, and other
duties within the department and maintains an equitable and
mutually agreeable distribution of assignments.
- In accordance with University and Board of Regents policies,
participates in the recommendation of appointment and
reappointment, promotion and tenure, and dismissal or non-renewal
of members of the faculty.
- Administers the annual budget in consultation with the
administrative team and business office staff. Upon approval,
reviews the budget with departmental faculty.
- Initiates and maintains standards which ensure the appropriate
expenditure of departmental funds and appropriate care and use of
- Collaborates with other members of the COE Administrative team
in leadership and management of college operations, strategic
assessment, planning and resource allocation, design and execution
of faculty support systems, and implementation of continuous
quality improvement processes.
- Promotes the development of interdisciplinary programs of
research and actively recruits new faculty in nascent or
under-represented areas of research demonstrating a commitment to
equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Leadership ability developed through prior experiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and
An earned doctorate in an education-related field aligned with
Teaching and Leading. Demonstrates an ongoing record of
scholarly work commensurate with the rank of Associate or Full
Professor with tenure.
The ideal candidate will have these attributes:
- Experience in program and curricular development, budget and
personnel management, student recruitment and retention, grant
writing, and assessment.
- A proven leader in team building who can recruit, develop, and
mentor top-notch individuals capable of supporting future
- Proven track record as a problem solver and the ability to
implement innovative solutions to contemporary challenges.
- Outstanding communication skills which include written, oral,
listening, and public speaking.
- Ability to forge and reinforce effective relationships with
- Experience in working with an executive leadership team,
supervision of staff in a complex organization, and management of
- Strong teaching record.
- Comprehensive and broad understanding of current trends in
The Department Chair should be a strategic thinker - a visionary
leader who thrives in a challenging environment and is clearly
aligned with the Augusta University values of:
- Collegiality - reflected in collaboration, partnership, sense
of community, and teamwork.
- Compassion - reflected in caring, empathy, and social
- Excellence - reflected in distinction, effectiveness,
efficiency, enthusiasm, passion, and quality.
- Inclusivity - reflected in diversity, equality, fairness,
impartiality, and respect.
- Integrity - reflected in accountability, ethical behavior,
honesty, and reliability.
- Leadership - reflected in courage, honor, professionalism,
transparency, and vision.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience in Urban
or Rural educational settings
The Application Process
Applicants should upload a letter of interest, a comprehensive
curriculum vitae, and contact information for 3 reference as one
Chair, Department of Teaching and Leading. Confidential review
of materials will begin immediately and continue until the
appointment is made. Inquiries and nominations may be submitted to
The final candidate will be required to provide proof of
completed academic degree in the form of an original transcript.
Those candidates trained by a foreign institution will also be
required to provide an educational/credential evaluation.
Augusta University is an
AA/EEO/Equal Access/ADA Employer.