Data Engineer - CDW
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jun 9, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Academic Affairs, Institutional Research & Planning, Instructional Technology & Design (Campus), Business & Administrative Affairs, Computer Services & Information Technology, Technology Administration/Other, Chief Technology & Information Officers
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting to the Interim Associate Chief Information Officer and Senior Director of Enterprise Solutions, the Data Engineer – Campus Data Warehouse (CDW) is responsible for SJSU’s Campus Data Warehousing/Business Intelligence implementation. This position will play an important role in the research, design, architecture, creation, development, implementation, and maintenance of Campus Data Warehouse. This includes identifying and pulling data from 500+ individual databases across SJSU and curating them into a single data source in order to facilitate data-driven decisions. Assist in conducting technical reviews, creating definitions of business problems, including the preparation of business/technical requirements to support the mission of the university and administrative departments, providing systems and technical support of vendor and locally developed software, and work with the Data Warehouse Project Manager, SJSU IT Enterprise Solutions resources, external vendors, and IT team members. Duties and system assignments can be temporarily or permanently changed to meet the needs and goals of the department and university.
- Develop and maintain ETL processes to populate the data warehouse
- Build and maintain Google BigQuery data warehouse interfaces to house data from various sources such as Oracle, MySQL, and Web APIs, etc.
- Building and maintaining production data pipelines for data analytics
- Partner cohesively with campus stakeholders to align with their strategic goals and initiatives through the implementation of Campus Data Warehouse
- Collaborate with key analytical vendors who can provide specialized expertise to assist with solution development while developing the in-house effort and managing CO interface
- Follow project plans, timelines, and vendor relationships to ensure releases are delivered with the highest quality, on-time and within budget
- Provide the data analytics infrastructure that supports and achieves operational organization goals and targets
- Apply performance tuning techniques to existing and new ETL scripts and analytical reports
- Develop efficient database manipulation code to ensure reliable and consistent result sets
- Develop appropriate and reusable data validation scripts to ensure the analytical dashboards are meeting the business requirements
- Assist the development team in performing the troubleshooting of Campus Data Warehouse components as identified by the Business groups
- Develop and deploy ad-hoc query extracts from Campus Data Warehouse as desired by the Business groups
- Participate in overall analytics architecture and application roadmap.
- Assist in the improvement of organization performance by utilizing not only the data already available to the organization, but also utilizing new and innovative sources of data
- Develop custom reports as necessary using visualization tools such as Google Data Studio, Tableau and other visualization tools
- Identify, interpret, analyze and address critical business issues, questions and to develop use cases.
- Organizing and creating an environment that makes data and information accessible with appropriate channels of access controls.
- Intermediate skills in a Data Engineer role
- Knowledge of Google Cloud Platform components including but not limited to Composer, Airflow, Dataproc, Sqoop, Cloud Storage, and BigQuery
- Advanced knowledge of application development, testing and deployment processes and tools
- Knowledge of data visualizations tools like Tableau, Google Data Studio, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and skills working with large data sets
- Solid knowledge of ETL, ELT, reporting and analytics tools and environments
- Ability to strategically think and build a Data Warehouse to answer important questions across a variety of functional areas
- Ability to collaborate with business stakeholders and IT management to understand solution requirements and system design
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and planning skills
- Proficiency in management of multiple priorities to produce quality products for customers
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience
- 5+ years of experience in business applications analysis, design, and programming for medium or large scale, multi-programmed computers
- 3+ years’ experience developing, maintaining and collecting structured and unstructured data sets for analysis and reporting
- 3+ years of working experience in implementing cloud-based architecture (i.e. Google Cloud Platform or similar)
Anticipated Hiring Range: $9,640/month - $9,834/month
CSU Hiring Range: $6,249/month - $12,100/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (including all booster doses of an approved vaccine for which an individual is eligible per current CDC recommendations) or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. As a condition of employment, any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as well as with other safety measures established on the campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at email@example.com .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: June 09, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert