Position's Functional Title
Cultural Arts Development Officer
Position Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
The Center for Performing Arts at Governors State University ( GSU
) invites applicants for a Cultural Arts Development Director
position. We seek an individual eager to serve with a spirit of
generosity, empathy and inclusion.
GSU is the only regional public comprehensive university in
Chicago’s south suburban area, serving more than 5,500 students
annually. Governors State University is a cultural destination with
its 750-acre campus encompassing the world-renowned Nathan Manilow
Sculpture Park, a state-of-the-art 1165-seat Center for Performing
Arts ( CPA ) venue, and the Visual Arts Gallery with work displayed
across the campus. GSU is conveniently located within easy reach of
Chicago 37 miles from the Millennium Park) and surrounding
communities with a wealth of cultural and natural attractions
(learn more at www.visitchicagosouthland.com).
This Cultural Arts Development Director is responsible for
strategic fundraising direction
for all cultural
entities: Center for Performing Arts ( CPA ), the Nathan Manilow
Sculpture Park (theNate), Visual Arts Galleries, and Chicago
Southland International Film Festival ( CSIFF ).
S/he reports to the CPA Executive Director and is responsible for
of fundraising strategy for the Center
for Performing Arts. Primary focus will be on foundations and
individual giving. Secondary focus will be on working with campus
partners to support cultural scholarships, special events support,
sponsorships, and integrated digital presence. This person will
liaison with donors, institutional funders, Board of Advisors,
municipalities, and the public.
- Develop, lead and execute annual fundraising planning campaign
for Center for Performing Arts in cooperation with the CPA Director
and Board of Advisors to produce effective strategies to achieve
income targets across the range of revenue streams.
- Coordinate/Manage grants writing calendar in collaboration with
cultural colleagues and Office of Research and Sponsored Programs,
supporting grant-writing efforts.
- Focus on identifying, cultivation, soliciting individual
giving, stewardship of major donors in concert with cultural
colleagues and GSU Foundation.
- Develop and maintain income and expenditure tracking and
- Produce cost-effective budgets for campaigns and events to
achieve action plan
This position qualifies for an expansive suite of fringe
benefits including, various insurance options, paid time off,
retirement and investment options, and tuition waivers. Visit:
Salary Range: $55,000-$75,000. Salary starts at the base and is
determined based on Education and Experience exceeding the minimum
- In coordination with theNate Director and Board of Advisors,
participate in the development and coordination of fundraising
strategies for theNate and Visual Arts Gallery. This includes
annual campaigns and major gifts.
- Ensure that all cultural entities have digital presence and
convenient ways to contribute.
- Work collaboratively with GSU Foundation team and cultural
entities to ensure solicitation procedures established by the
auditor are met.
- Support CSIFF and Theater Performance Arts Scholarship fund
- Identify contributed and in-kind revenue prospects and develop
- Support key cultural events with focus on major donors’
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 plus years’ fundraising experience
- Track record in fundraising: grants, special events, individual
- Exceptional knowledge and proficiency in arts management
- Prudent financial management
- Strongly demonstrated strategic thinking and planning
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work evenings and weekends/flexibility with
scheduling as needed
Track record in fundraising in the arts
Preferred experience with grant writing and working with high
A track record in securing contributed earned revenues, including
grants, and individual giving.
CFRE preferred (not required) or other fundraising training
Experience working with Board members and major donors
Appreciation for visual and/or performing arts education and
experience working with the community as an advocate for arts
education and as an enthusiastic fundraiser.
Open Until Filled
Type of Search
Quicklink for Posting
Special Instructions to Applicants
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until
positon is filled. For consideration, submit your complete
appliation and supporting documentation by June 26, 2022.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of Three Professional References