SUMMARY OF PURPOSE:
The primary responsibility of the Dean is to support the academic
mission and purposes of the College and serve as an academic leader
with responsibility for the Nursing and other health professions
programs across the College. The Dean works closely with outside
agencies to ensure compliance with contracts and with policies and
procedures related to licensure, certification, and accreditation
for the nursing and health professions programs. This Dean serves
on the Dean's Cabinet and other college wide committees, as
assigned. This position is expected to work in a multi-cultural
diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and
responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It
is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and
responsibilities that may be required:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Provides administrative and educational leadership and
direction for Health Professions Programs in support of College's
mission and vision.
- Supervises management of operations, services, and resources
for Health Professions programs including the responsibilities of
Department Chairs, Program Directors and/or Coordinators, faculty,
and non-instructional staff.
- Facilitates implementation of policies, procedures, and
objectives at campus and college levels.
- Promotes continuous improvement and innovative initiatives in
curriculum development, instructional technology, assessment of
student learning, and program/course offerings.
- Oversees development and implementation of evaluation programs
for faculty and staff and for courses and programs.
- Directs design and implementation of evaluation programs to
monitor and assess educational outcomes and process of continuous
- Works with Department Chairs and Program Directors and/or
Coordinators to develop budgets and monitor expenditures.
- Supervises survey and selection of the health care affiliations
agencies, affiliation agreements, and the coordination of
activities involved in meeting the programs' educational
- Represents College in appropriate community and professional
organizations and in dealing with related outside agencies,
assuring compliance with requirements for licensure, certification,
faculty qualifications, program requirements, and
- Collaborates with Human Resources on the recruitment and
selection of faculty and staff for assigned programs; oversees
selection process for all adjunct faculty.
- Supervises selection, admission, readmission, credit transfer,
progression, withdrawal, and appeals of students in assigned
Mediates conflict and resolves issues involving
faculty, staff and students; meets with students to discuss
complaints/concerns and assists in devising equitable responses and
Serves on various college wide committees;
participates in development of College initiatives; assists in
formulation of policies, procedures, goals and objectives;
coordinates work with other Deans.
Meets with and acts on recommendations of various
groups and health care agencies; actively participates in the
Advisory Committees for the assigned programs; assesses needs of
Supervises preparation and maintenance of required
reports, records, and self-studies in Health Professions
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQURED:
- Knowledge of current and developing trends in health care
industry and higher education
- Knowledge of federal and state requirements applicable to
vocational education, nursing, and health programs
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of the Board of Nursing and
accreditation agencies for Nursing and Health Professions
- Demonstrated supervisory skills
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to work
effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the public
- Skill in problem solving
- Ability to foster student-centered environments
- Knowledge and skill in curriculum and program development and
in accreditation procedures
EDUCATION: Master's degree in Nursing; Ph.D. preferred. Must be
eligible for RN licensure in Michigan.
EXPERIENCE: Full time teaching experience at a community college
or 4-year college/university. Leadership experience within higher
education or a healthcare facility. Experience in preparation of
self-studies and accreditation.