Executive Director of Financial Management and
City University of New York
Office of Facilities Planning, Construction and
The City University of New York (CUNY) is the leading urban
public university in the United States with an enrollment of
275,000 degree-granting students. The university is comprised
of 25 institutions: 11 four-year senior colleges, 7 two-year
community colleges and 7 graduate, honors and professional schools
across the five boroughs of NYC.
The City University Construction Fund (CUCF) is a public benefit
corporation established by New York State to provide facilities for
CUNY. CUCF provides the technical staff for CUNY’s Office of
Facilities Planning, Construction and Management (FPCM), which is
charged with the central administration of CUNY’s capital
construction program, including the planning, design, construction
and maintenance of the University’s campuses, comprised of 28
million gross square feet in 296 buildings.
FPCM seeks an Executive Director to lead Financial Management
and Administration, the foundation for the strategic planning,
management, procurement and delivery of financial and budget
resources necessary to support CUNY’s educational mandate.
The Executive Director of Financial Management and
Administration reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Facility
Planning, Construction and Management. This position may also
serve as Deputy Executive Director and Treasurer of CUCF and as
Executive Director of the CUNY Economic Development Corporation.
The Vice Chancellor for Facility Planning, Construction and
Management serves as the Executive Director of CUCF.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Review of resumes to begin June 20, 2022.
Posting open until July 26, 2022 (or until filled).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Director of Financial Management and
- Capital budget of $3 billion with approximately $350 million in
- Coordination and integration of finance, accounting, budget,
procurement and administrative functions enabling the mission
critical work of the department, including coordination of
financing with Dormitory Authority of New York, and all applicable
approvals for capital projects,
- Coordination of all CUCF matters involving New York State
Division of the Budget, New York City Office of Management and
Budget, and New York City and New York State Comptrollers, Empire
State Development and Dormitory Authority of New York,
- Implementation of the annual capital budget including capital
budget expenditure updates and reporting,
- Capital accounting operations, including preparation of CUCF
annual financial statements and tax preparation,
- Development and implementation of administrative policies and
practices regarding budget and finance issues, including
modifications to enhance fiscal and reporting operations,
monitoring program budget operations and expenditures, evaluating
program reporting activities to ensure contract compliance, and
coordinating and facilitating resolution of all fiscal and
- Forecasting and control of agency position and personnel
- Supervising the collection and analysis of statistical and
other quantitative data,
- Overseeing the use of standard data collection and statistical
techniques to produce comprehensive reports appropriate for CUCF /
FPCM decision making,
- Procurement of construction and construction-related services
pursuant to NYS Education Law, Public Authorities Law and all
applicable NYS and NYC laws, rules and regulations,
- Development, implementation and oversight of construction
contract administration and payment review process for construction
and construction-related contracts held by CUCF,
- Procure-to-Pay operations for all capital and operating
procurements initiated by CUCF, representing approximately $100
million in expenditures,
- Implementation and financial management of leases, sub-leases
and other agreements as may be necessary and obtaining the
necessary oversight approvals,
- Implementation and financial management of agreements for
purchase of real property and contracts for legal, financial,
professional and technical assistance, and obtaining the necessary
- Implementation of mandated diversity programs (MWBE/SDVOB),
including tracking and reporting as required by NYS Empire State
Development and NYS Executive Law,
- Participation in government financial management systems:
CUNYFirst (PeopleSoft), New York Statewide Financial System
(PeopleSoft), New York City Financial Management System, and
- Approving budget modifications, purchase orders, requisitions,
contracts and other finance-related documents within delegated
- Monitoring and review of the processing of all purchase
requests, maintenance of inventories, payment of invoices,
reconciliation of unpaid invoices, and investigation and resolution
of errors or discrepancies,
- Managing staff responsible for accounting, procurement, budget
administration, vendor integrity, personnel and office management,
including personnel policies and procedures, recruiting, onboarding
and retention of technical, professional and support staff,
determining and communicating performance standards, staff
evaluation against written standards, rewarding and correcting
performance and disciplinary action as needed, determining work
plans, setting goals and objectives, and identifying training needs
and providing training,
- All aspects of office administration including operation of
FPCM’s office, vehicles, equipment and office services,
- High standards of business integrity and financial
accountability through management and internal control systems
including financial and contractual reviews, internal control
reviews, and vendor integrity reviews,
- Participation in relevant professional activities and personal
development in the business field.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Bachelor’s Degree and 8-10 years of progressively responsible
experience in financial management and administration, or an
equivalent combination of Experience and Education.
- Possession of the Core Competencies.
- Advanced degree in business administration, finance, economics
or related area.
- Experience working in state or local government and/or public
- Experience with New York State and/or New York City public
procurement, budgeting and accounting practices.
- Experience as a member of, or working with a Board of
- Ability to work effectively and collegially within a large,
complex organizational system.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills, with ability to
lead and manage teams, and use strategic and tactical judgment to
make decisions and handle various situations.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Expert knowledge of budget, human resource, procurement,
bidding, and contracting practices and strategies in the government
sector; expert knowledge of various government agency budget, human
resources or procurement reporting practices.
- Ability to solve current and anticipated reporting issues.
- Ability to set project priorities and adjust implementation
- Ability to work effectively with staff, associates, and
internal and external constituents.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies;
ability to explain complex concepts to professional college staff,
college officials, CUNY administrators, and other staff in
non-business areas; ability to listen and respond to the
concerns/ideas of others.
- Knowledgeable about policy review, data collection, statistical
evaluation of data, and strategies for conveying results to
- Ability to manage full time and part time staff in both field
and central sites.
- Ability to recruit, hire, train, direct, monitor, evaluate, and
reward, competent staff; ability to discipline staff when
- Ability to identify and provide for own personal development
- Skilled in negotiating budget modifications, contract
modifications and/or procurement prices.
- Knowledgeable of capital and operating budgets.
- Ability to function as a fiduciary.
TO APPLY: https://www.rfcuny.org/careers/postings?pvnID=VC-2205-004824
OR USE NAVIGATION: www.rfcuny.org > ABOUT > Search
& Apply for a Job > Select Category: Managerial and
Professional > Click on Link: Executive Director of Financial
Mgmt. and Administration
The Research Foundation of the City University of New York
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Americans with
Disabilities Act/Protected Veterans Status/E-Verify