- The general nature of this position is to serve as director of
the Fort Lewis College choirs.
- This job exists to provide a proven expert in the field of
choral music to the students of Fort Lewis College.
- Through their participation in the various FLC choirs, students
will receive professional mentorship as they develop skills and
general knowledge in the vocal music area.
- Doctorate in music in hand by August 15, 2022.
- Proven ability to perform at a high level in the choral
- One or more years of experience teaching at the collegiate
- Demonstrated ability to recruit students.
- Teach and conduct all choirs at FLC.
- Hold regular office hours
- Engage authentically with students, the department and
- Takes responsibility for all grading of student work and
submitting grades at the end of each semester.
- Recruit students.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and
student success, as well as working with broadly diverse
- Maintain knowledge and awareness of digital accessibility
including the American with Disabilities Act and Section 508.
- Produce and remediates digitally accessible materials in
accordance with FLC standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Additional responsibilities
are based on the faculty member’s areas of expertise and may
include music courses offered for non-music majors as well as those
offered for music majors, such as Music Theory, Music Appreciation,
Music History, or interdisciplinary courses.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those that an employee can expect while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Moderate noise (i.e. music rehearsals, office with computers
and musical instruments, phone, and printers, light traffic).
- Ability to work in a confined area.
- Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of
- Optional remote work privilege
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands, arms
and fingers to conduct the concert band and perform on their
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision requirements due to computer work and music score
- Light to moderate lifting is required.
The salary for this position will be $48,000 plus a comprehensive benefits
A complete application packet includes:
- Cover letter addressing interest and qualifications for
- Include details regarding how your personal and professional
experiences allow you to encourage a learning environment grounded
in equity and inclusion. “How do you envision contributing to Fort
Lewis College’s commitment to equity and inclusion?”
- Names and contact information for three current, professional
- Links to rehearsal and performance videos of the candidate
conducting choral ensembles
Submit materials as one PDF file via email to:
Application materials received by June 27, 2022, will receive full
consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate will be required to submit original,
official college transcripts, and pass a background check.