William James College is seeking a fast-paced, proactive,
creative person with superior oral and written communication skills
as well as excellent organizational abilities. The Director of
Communications is responsible for the execution of communication
strategies that increase public awareness, influence enrollment and
giving, and elevate the brand. This position will report to the
Vice President of Enrollment Management and works closely with the
senior leadership team to advance the College’s mission and
- Responsible for the development and execution of an integrated
communications strategy to include media, external, and government
relations, news content development and distribution, and related
activities designed to increase brand awareness and convey priority
messages to key audiences through multi-channel storytelling.
Audiences include, but are not limited to, prospective students,
applicants, alumni, donors, board members, partners, faculty,
students, staff, and the media.
- Collaborates with senior leadership, faculty, department
chairs, program leaders and external partners to build awareness of
key priorities, communications campaigns, and strategic initiatives
through news and media activities.
- Oversees media relations efforts, both proactive and reactive,
to support institutional priorities, manage reputation, and build
brand awareness. Develop annual media and outreach plan.
- Responsible for managing the digital news presence of the
College, including planning and managing the College’s news and
editorial calendar, writing and/or supervising the creation of news
stories, and posting stories to the web. Collaborates with
Marketing Department to develop of social media campaigns and
outreach strategies to support institutional events, messages, and
- Manages the production of other assets, including graphics,
videos, podcasts, web content, microsites, and written content to
support strategic priorities.
- Oversee production, from concept to print, of Rapport,
the College’s annual print magazine. Responsibilities include
selecting stories and images, interviewing sources (internal and
external), writing, and editing content; working with in-house and
freelance writers, designers, photographers, and others on content
development; and working with Marketing and Advancement teams to
coordinate mailing lists, mailing, and distribution.
- Serve as an editor/proofer for the Marketing Department,
Advancement Office, senior leaders, and Office of the
- Lead planning activities and event logistics for the
William James College Annual Forum. For other
Institutional and Advancement events, collaborate with event
managers for to support creative aspects including developing
communications, web and social media content and plans, and
multimedia, digital or print materials to support relationship
management and attendee stewardship.
- Manage and execute special projects as needed, including but
not limited to special events, supporting partnership
opportunities, and outreach activities to support the launch of new
programs, niche marketing efforts, and other new business
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervises the Media Relations & Communications
- Advises professionals in communications roles across the
- Master’s degree and 10-12 years’ experience in marketing,
communications, higher education, or fundraising.
- Supervisory or team leadership experience.
- Attention to detail, excellent proofreading skills, grasp of
grammar, and punctuation and able to exhibit a consistent
- Comfortable with design software for the creation of flyers,
videos, podcasts, web content, and other marketing materials.
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, and work collaboratively
with colleagues in a team environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events on occasion.
Interested candidates should submit:
- A Cover Letter responding to the stated qualifications.
- A Résumé/Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of three professional references with complete contact
information. (References will not be contacted without the
candidate’s prior permission.)
Materials should be submitted electronically via the
WJC Career Center:
Review of applications will begin upon receipt.
William James College is an institution and a community
committed to the principles of excellence, fairness and respect for
all people. Our Inclusive Excellence model infuses diversity,
equity and inclusion efforts into the core of institutional
functioning to realize the educational benefits of diversity both
locally and globally. We are committed to strengthening
communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development
of the intercultural competencies necessary for change agents in an
increasingly complex, pluralistic society