Bergen Community College
Oversees and leads the College in the reporting and maintenance
of all College policies and compliance responsibilities as related
to human resources functions. Provides counsel to employees,
faculty and management on a variety of Human Resource issues
including but not limited to: policies, procedures, related laws
and regulations. Advises on disciplinary, reporting and policy
process and procedures, in addition to other areas, as needed and
makes recommendations as necessary.
- Partners with the Human Resources team to ensure compliance is
maintained regularly and implements an audit schedule to ensure
- Organizes routine training programs and identifies appropriate
staff to complete the trainings in accordance with College, state
and federal requirements and needs.
- Reviews College policies on a regular schedule to ensure
requirements are fulfilled and that documented processes and
procedures are in place and being followed.
- Develops a communication plan to ensure departments are aware
of compliance requirements as related to their department and
provides information for scheduled training and personnel
- Uses external resources to monitor issues in employment law and
communicates changes to College leadership.
- Receives employee complaints and acts to resolve them following
established policies; implements appropriate disciplinary and
- Performs HRIS administration; evaluates, analyzes and maintains
College’s existing system(s); coordinates with Information
Technologies (IT) for technical support, solutions and program
modifications to ensure information compliance.
- Assists in identifying HRIS needs and software products; acts
as Subject Matter Expert for HR department.
- Works with department to develop internal audit procedures and
processes to ensure compliance and accuracy.
- Serves as first point of contact in employee grievance
- Handles and tracks disciplinary actions, investigations and
grievances and recommends termination as appropriate; counsels’
employees, supervisors and managers to settle work-related
- Completes local, state and federal reporting as required for
the office of Human Resources.
- Develops and produces a variety of reports and queries and
performs data analysis as assigned.
- Assists as required in annual mandatory reporting such as
IPEDS, ACA and in recurring tasks such as annual increases and
- Confirms accuracy and integrity of all data entered, and
assures information is available on a timely basis; performs
monthly HRIS audits.
- Develops and conduct internal control measures for the Office
of Human Resources; recommending policies and processes to improve
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
- Annual Salary in range of $75,000-$80,000.
- NJ Educators Health Plan with free Vision and Dental. NJ State
- 15 vacation days, 15 sick days, 4 personal days, 2 floating
holidays, all designated holidays and 5 non-designated holidays for
a total of 52 days a year. 3 Partial Sick Days.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities for staff and their family
6 months after hire.
Qualifications and Special Skills:
- Strong background in human resources policies, procedures, and
practices as well as a thorough understanding of state and federal
laws concerning employee benefits and payroll.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Possesses
strong presentation skills.
- Effective interpersonal and professional skills.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership and multi
- Supervise, train, and evaluate assigned staff if
- Strong analytical and problem skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and web‐based applications and
- Self‐direct, recommend strategic direction and influence
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Administration,
Business Administration, Information Technology or related field.
SHRM-CP or PHP certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (a) Ability to work
independently while performing data analysis which encompasses
multiple information sources. Must have demonstrated ability to
employ a balanced and positive approach to all work activities,
especially when dealing with employee and management issues.
Possess and applies knowledge of employment law and related federal
and state regulations. Demonstrates skills to work with a variety
of computer software, database management, and other employee
management software applications. Possess proficiency in use of
Google and Microsoft Office suite and familiar with cloud based
computing and collaborative platforms and software; exhibits strong
verbal and written communication skills, relationship building,
organizing and planning. (b) must work collaboratively across
various constituencies of the College and with vendors and external
Experience: (a) Minimum of three (3) years HR experience as an
HR Generalist including HRIS experience using Ellucian Colleague,
PeopleSoft, ADP, or other related databases. Experience in higher