4-H Regional Extension Agent - Choctaw County
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Make an impact in the lives of Alabama youth!
Who we are:
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System
is the outreach organization for the land grant mission of Auburn
University and Alabama A&M University. Our educational programs
grow from these two land grant university campuses to serve the
people of Alabama. We deliver science-based educational programs
that enable people to improve their quality of life and economic
well-being. Our information and programs are available online or in
person in all 67 County Extension Offices and at teaching sites
throughout Alabama communities.
Who we’re looking for:
We are seeking a servant leader
that has a passion for working with youth in Choctaw county! As a
4-H Regional Extension Agent (4-H REA ), this position provides the
opportunity to do something new every day — our 4-H REAs work with
animals, outdoors, STEM, gardening, cooking and everything in
between. Must be willing to work as part of team and serve a
diverse population. We expect all of our employees to uphold the
following values: service excellence, team, inclusiveness,
accountability and integrity.
Perks & Benefits:
This position allows for the opportunity to work autonomously and
in a variety of locations throughout the counties as well as some
travel. This position will be an employee of Auburn
Auburn University was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the state
of Alabama’s best employers, with employees staying an average of
ten years. Employees enjoy competitive benefits that include
top-notch health insurance, generous retirement plans, tuition
assistance for employees and dependents, flexible spending accounts
Learn more about Auburn’s impact and generous employee benefits by
Auburn University is committed to a diverse and inclusive
environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion to learn more about our
commitment to expanding equity and inclusion for all.
Location: This position will be housed in the Choctaw County
Extension Office in Butler, Alabama
PURPOSE OF POSITION : The purposes of the 4-H Foundation Regional
Extension Agent position are to 1) provide leadership, direction,
organization, and implementation of a broad based county 4-H
program; 2) provide experiential learning opportunities for youth
to improve knowledge, develop leadership skills and abilities, gain
independence, and engage in personal growth and development in
preparing for a positive role in society; and 3) work
collaboratively with the County 4-H Teams, other Regional Extension
Agents, and State 4-H Team to support county 4-H objectives.
RELATIONSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
The 4-H Foundation Regional Extension Agent is a member of the
County 4-H Teams in the assigned county (along with the County
Extension Coordinator, County Extension Agent, Agent Assistant, and
Administrative Support staff) with each team member carrying out
specific roles and responsibilities. Each Team’s common purpose is
to grow and sustain the county 4-H program in five areas of
• Forming a unified Alabama 4-H team and program
• Utilizing consistent research-based curriculum resources
• Diversifying delivery modes tailored to today’s youth
• Promoting plan-of-work development and teamwork at all
• Aligning staff and position assignments to support program
resources and delivery modes
In assigned county, specific 4-H Foundation Agent responsibilities
• Provide leadership to development of an annual county 4-H
strategic plan that includes a youth demographic report, determines
delivery mode application, and sets goals.
• Provide leadership to develop and implement a county annual
program plan-of-work that ensures youth ages 9 to 18 have access to
4-H programming through a balance of delivery modes and curricula
supported by State 4-H Office.
• Leverage resources by providing leadership and coordination for
4-H volunteer development, including recruitment, selection,
orientation, and training.
• Responsible to County 4-H Team for providing expertise and
leadership regarding policies, decisions, and directions of county
4-H program in alignment with ACES and Auburn University guidelines
• Provide leadership to County 4-H Youth Council. Has shared
responsibility for County 4-H Advisory Committee with County
• Maintain effective communication and develop networks and
partnerships with ACES personnel, and local agencies and
organizations to enhance program delivery and evaluation.
• Maintain professional competence through study, participation in
professional activities, and the application of knowledge and
skills on the job. Provide training to County 4-H Team members and
•Identify and pursue resources to enhance local programs; work with
County 4-H Teams to attract and use such resources and manage
budgets in an appropriate manner.
• Assure compliance with civil rights and affirmative action
policies related to serving underserved and underrepresented
• Evaluates and reports program impacts of at least two programs
• A Bachelor’s degree must be completed prior to beginning the
position. Degrees may have been awarded in a number of different
areas but must provide a broad understanding of positive youth
• Demonstrated leadership skills working with people as individuals
and in groups, and ability to forge equitable partnerships with
other professionals and organizations to accomplish team
• Understanding of different demographic and socioeconomic
audiences, commitment to include diverse voices in program
prioritization and planning, and a commitment to developing and
delivering inclusive and targeted programming.
• Evidence of success in being a self-starter, working in a
self-directed work environment, and having the ability to
effectively set priorities and manage time.
• Strong communication skills — writing, listening, public speaking
• Computer literacy as demonstrated by evidence of technology use
in an educational setting, including, but not limited to program
development and delivery, and social media.
• Willingness and ability to travel (including overnight stays) and
participate in evening and weekend programs and activities.
Applicant must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable
• A Master’s degree from an accredited institution in a related
field is preferred. The successful incumbent will be required to
obtain a master’s degree within five years of successfully
completing a probationary period.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Posting Detail Information
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base
Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE
Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter