Access Services Assistant
Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My
Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your
resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching
philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading
before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please
ensure you have all necessary documents available before
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type
into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in
Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have
no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is
current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information
for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate
documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your
application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the
Office of Human Resources via email at
by calling 864-294-2217.
Access Services Assistant
Manages the Duke Library building and supervises circulation
functions of Furman's three libraries, including patron assistance,
supervision of student assistants, collection maintenance,
equipment maintenance, and opening and closing of the libraries on
Saturday and Sunday throughout the year.
Standard hours are 10AM-5PM during the school year (August-May),
and 1PM-5PM during the summer. Additional hours may be available
throughout the year.
- Opens and manages Duke Library building on weekends; ensures
that Maxwell Music Library and Sanders Science Library are opened
and fully operational
- Supervises circulation procedures, including:
- Verifying patron accounts, check-in/check-out of library
materials, creating brief descriptions of materials as necessary,
renewing, placing/cancelling holds on materials and booking
- Issuing library borrower's cards according to library policy,
including verifying and creating accounts for reciprocal
- Stacks maintenance, including shelving items, shelf reading,
- Supervises library student assistants on the weekend including
training, assignment, and monitoring of specific tasks, and science
and music libraries
- Performs library opening procedures
- Performs library closing procedures
- Maintains library equipment such as copiers, printers, and
- Assists patrons of the library by:
- Helping locate library materials
- Assisting with use of library databases or referring patrons to
research assistance as appropriate
- Giving directions to other locations on campus
- Processes interlibrary loan requests
- Maintains the general security of public areas
- Reports maintenance problems to Facilities Services and
security problems to University Police
- Meets regularly with the Access Services Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned
- Follows safety procedures
- Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees
to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into
the department and university goals.
- High School graduate with 1 - 2 years' experience in related
- Comfort with independent work
- Knowledge of library operations
- Ability to:
- direct student assistants
- effectively communicate policies, procedures, requests and
information to patrons, students, faculty, colleagues, etc.
- follow written and oral instruction
- read and understand alphabetic and numeric characters rapidly
- use a variety of computer software used in the library
- accurately transfer, translate, and interpret data from one
format to another
- Bachelor's Degree
- Library or bookstore experience
- Second- or third-shift work experience
- Business opening and/or closing experience
Periodic contact with members of own work unit, immediate
supervisor, other departments, students, library student
assistants, staff, the general public, and faculty to exchange
factual information and explanation of rules, regulations,
practices or functions.
Responsibility for final decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or
steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure
to follow and applying established rules and procedures. Errors are
readily detected in the normal course of work by standard check or
- Work takes place in an office environment.
- Work may require some light lifting and movement of books and
other library materials.
- Work involves possible exposure to dust and mold.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Access-Services-Assistant_R001711
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing
the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to
create a community of people representing a multiplicity of
identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief,
sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background,
ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of
employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
- cover letter
- diversity statement that describes how their work experience,
education, and/or professional activities might contribute to a
liberal arts and sciences college community that includes a
commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as one of its
- names and contact information of three references.