Associate Vice President for Finance
Full or Part Time
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the new Vice President of Finance, the Associate Vice
President of Finance will provide support to the daily operations
of the Financial Services Office. In addition, this key executive
will assist by providing direction, training and supervision of
staff. The Associate Vice President of Finance will provide
assistance to the university’s budget planning and development,
ensuring all policies, processes and systems are in implemented and
executed. The Associate Vice President of Finance will work closely
with senior administrators in Financial Services to support and
carry out Chapman’s financial goals, using various financial models
to analyze and forecast budget control.
The successful Associate Vice President for Finance candidate will:
- Participate in the development of timely and useful financial
models and reports including income and expenditures, trend
analyses, forecasting, resource reallocation scenarios, and
- Prepare and present complex annual financial reports,
statements and/or projections.
- Provide operational direction and staff oversight in the
Financial Services Office.
- In collaboration with senior administrators in Financial
Services, assist the Vice President in carrying out goals of the
Financial Services Office and University’s financial goals.
- Strategically collaborate with the Audit Committee and Finance
Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Conduct research across a broad spectrum of financial,
investment and business operations in support of a wide variety of
- Review current accounting and budgeting systems, processes and
procedures to ensure compliance with audit requirements and
applicable policies, rules, and regulations
- Recommend and ensure implementation of corrective action,
policy improvements and/or procedural changes, as appropriate.
- Evaluate requests for new fiscal practices to ensure efficient
control and utilization of financial resources.
- Participate in the planning and development of the University’s
budget and financial policies, processes, and systems.
- Interact with internal and external auditors, participate in
auditing projects, or provide information and access to accounting
records as required.
- Approve cash disbursements through check approvals and wire
transfer authorizations. Review all bank reconciliations.
- Monitor and evaluate programmatic and operational
effectiveness, and implement changes required for improvement.
- Oversee staff recruitment, training and supervision; evaluate
performance, make recommendations for human resources actions, and
motivate employees to achieve peak productivity and
- Encourage customer-oriented staff interaction with students,
parents, and administrators.
- Chapman is deeply committed to a unique business model and
favors the quantitative results of the 5-year strategic plan for
decision-making. The successful candidate must be comfortable
making and executing financial decisions quickly in an environment
that acts like a for-profit.
- Participate in national and regional professional organization
leadership to improve the visibility of Chapman.
Knowledge and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field of Business,
or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Master’s Degree in Finance/Accounting or a related field.
Leadership Skills and Competencies
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in financial oversight of a
medium size company.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in higher education.
- Expertise in financial and accounting practices and reporting,
including Chart of Accounts design, asset management, ledger,
budgeting, payables and receivables, purchasing and expense
- Comprehensive working knowledge of GAAP .
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in financial
technologies and analytical tools, and issues.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and
higher education financial policies and procedures.
- Experience with financial enterprise application systems, such
as PeopleSoft Financials modules or similar complex financials
- Strong communication skills to write, communicate, facilitate
and present information to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated successful analytical skills to research and
interpret information, make informed judgment and provide
recommendations as well as present complex annual financial
reports, statements and or projections.
- Proven ability to recognize and make recommendations to assure
effective quality and internal controls and regulatory
- Demonstrated ability to understand and guide the month-end
closing process, which includes the follow-up with colleagues
regarding month end-activities and the review of journal entries
for posting requirements.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize duties when faced
with interruptions, distractions and fluctuating workload. Ability
to complete work in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to train, supervise and motivate staff. Supervisory
skills to supervise the work of others including planning,
assigning and scheduling work as well as reviewing work and
ensuring quality standards.
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and facilitate
collaboration. Ability to demonstrate tact and diplomacy,
maintaining high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively both as part of a team and
independently. Self-starter. Strong interpersonal and communication
skills to work with diverse constituents in a customer focus and
consensus building manner.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and
procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new
strategies and procedures.
- Strong technical skills to learn and use enterprise systems and
departmental applications needed for the position.
Special Instructions to Applicants
NOMINATION / APPLICATION INFORMATION
- Experience using recent releases of PeopleSoft applications
based solutions, especially of different PeopleSoft Financials
– Initial screening of
applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position
is filled. WittKieffer
has been retained by Chapman
University to assist in this search process.
All applications, inquiries and nominations are welcome. Please
direct via email to chapmanUAVFinance@wittkieffer.com
or by contacting Ben Haden ( email@example.com
Kati Sweaney ( firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate nominations or expressions of interest. All
communication is strictly confidential.
Minimum Number of References
Maximum Number of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter