A.T. Still University (ATSU) is seeking a non-exempt Communications
and Marketing (C&M) Copywriter Intern on the Kirksville,
Missouri, campus. The position reports to the Director of Community
& Public Relations and the Writer/Editor. The C&M
copywriter intern will assist with a variety of writing and editing
assignments for print and digital communications, including but not
limited to University publications, news, web content, and
departmental projects. The intern will also attend and report on
University events for various University communication channels
Major Job Duties
- Writing clear, concise, accurate, and compelling copy for
various mediums, including:
1) University print/digital publications, including Still Magazine
(alumni) and Spark magazine (research), including
faculty/student/alumni profiles, briefs, articles, etc.
2) ATSU News - University online news source.
3) Client projects - copyediting and style review.
4) Web content development.
- Continual reference and compliance with University and AP
- Editing and proofreading copy.
- Researching and fact checking content.
- Attending University events/meetings related to assigned
- Attend University events (virtually or in person) to provide
written content for publications.
- Attend weekly C&M staff meetings, as requested.
- Conduct research and interviews with
students/faculty/staff/alumni on various University topics.
- Collaboration with designers, PR, and other professionals on
- Assist in locating/scheduling photography for written
- High School plus two-three years college required
- Major in journalism, marketing, communications, writing,
English, or related
- Solid working knowledge of AP style
- Writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong public relations, communication, and interviewing
- Ability to produce concise, accurate, well-written content to
meet established deadlines
- Ability to write creative, concise, grammatically correct, and
accurate content; research subject matter; and interview subject
matter experts/alumni, faculty, and/or students
- Ability to work on multiple assignments and meet departmental
deadlines (e.g., excellent time management and organizational
- Personable, possess a collaborative spirit, and work well with
diverse University stakeholders
- Inquisitive nature and active listener
- Dependable and professional work ethic
- Exhibit pride in final work product
- Readily accept supervisory direction and professional criticism
from communications team