The Senior Accountant performs financial and tax accounting
activities under the direction of the Controller. The Senior
Accountant assists in the annual financial statement audit and
corporate tax return preparation. The Senior Accountant
supports the integrity of accounting, reporting functions, general
ledger, and financial statements.
Essential Duties &
• Assists in preparation of monthly GAAP financials and other
financial reporting for executive management. Ensures
completion within 30 days of month-end.
• Oversees task list to execute monthly close process accurately
• Prepares complex financial calculations related to annuities
payable, external trusts, insurance contracts, contributions
receivable and other financial instruments.
• Prepares weekly reconciliation and posting of advancement
• Prepares monthly bank reconciliations.
• Provides backup for the Senior Accountant – Revenue, including
daily revenue posting.
• Leads the annual audit process by assisting the Controller in
preparation of annual corporate financial statements, work papers
and footnotes in accordance with GAAP.
• Leads the 990-preparation process by preparing schedules
required for tax return, including UBIT analysis for review by the
Controller and Associate VP for Finance.
• Directs execution of unitized investment pools and maintains
integrity of the comprehensive process of crediting gifts,
allocating earnings and assessing fees.
• Together with the Controller, meets with unit business
officers to explain spend allocations projections, and other
• Prepares ad-hoc financial reporting and presents to management
• Assists Controller in the annual investment spend process and
ensures fiscal integrity of calculations and distribution of spend.
Serves as primary backup.
• Maintains awareness of GAAP pronouncements and tax regulations
to ensure compliance.
• Attends monthly finance team staff meetings and presents
agenda items for discussion.
• Identifies potential improvements and assists in system
development (manual and automated) to facilitate accounting
operations and controls. Regularly analyzes systems and
procedures to detect potential problems and recognize potential
• Special projects as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and 5 years of
related financial experience and/or training.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
governmental regulations. Ability to draft reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability
and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as
fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety
of technical instructions and deal with abstract and concrete
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have
knowledge of accounting software, Spreadsheet software and Word
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
• Proactive, customer-service orientation. Responds to requests
for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
• Ability to work both independently and as a collaborative
member of the diverse team.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and organize multiple
projects, think critically, and work with numbers.
• Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information;
collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to
complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
• Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views;
gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive
• Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments;
inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically;
upholds organizational values.
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures;
completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports
organization's goals and values.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner;
reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and
consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts
responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
• Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment;
manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit
the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or
• Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management
direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments;
completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for
ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve
performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in a
timely manner; strives to increase productivity; works quickly.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time;
ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at
meetings and appointments on time.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development
activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent
actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of
opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
• Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets
challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for
improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents
ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
• Business Acumen - Understands business implications of
decisions; aligns work with strategic goals.
This is not a complete itemization of all facets of this
position. This job description is not an employment agreement or
contract. The Foundation has the exclusive right to alter this job
description at any time without notice.