Job Vacancy Announcement
LIB AND LEARNING RESOURCES
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Responsible for facilitating and performing the circulation,
reservation, and maintenance of all print and non-print library
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Library Media Technician Certificate or 30 hours college
credits in the liberal arts field are preferred.
- Experience in customer service or in a library is also
- Customer Service skills: ability to communicate effectively
with students and employees.
- Clerical and computer abilities.
- Ability to exercise initiative and perform work
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite
- Great organizational skills
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
PART TIME LIBRARY CIRCULATION / MEDIA TECHNICIANS
- Operates and maintains the automated circulation system: input,
retrieve and correct all records related to the charge and
discharge of books, audiovisuals and reserved instructional
materials. Record usage statistics. Registers College patrons,
county residents, high school patrons, and participants in special
- Maintains all print and non‑print instructional material
collections: shelve, shelf read, and arrange for repair or
withdrawal of those materials.
- Assist library faculty and staff with collection maintenance
and inventory activities.
- Answers directional inquiries and refer individuals with
questions, problems or other business to the appropriate department
- Operates, inspects, maintains and makes or coordinates repairs
to a variety of office and audiovisual equipment such as computer
print station, photocopiers, desk top computers and laser printers,
the computer print station, library security system, public address
system and photo identification system, microfilm/microfiche reader
printer, VCRs, DVD players, CL) players, audio tape players.
- Communicates library policies and procedures to students,
faculty members and others.
- Assists patrons in the use of instructional audiovisuals and
equipment, including televisions, VCRs, DVD players, and audio CD
players and maintains use statistics.
- Opens and/or closes the library, including securing and
unlocking all doors, turning on and off of all equipment.
- Participates in all functions of the photo identification
program for the library location, manages traffic flow during peak
periods, uses hardware and software to produce identification
cards, maintain records and statistics.
- Participates in all functions of the reserved instructional
material collection: receive and process faculty, departmental and
library materials for use as reserve items; inventory, weed and
maintain the collection; create and maintain electronic records for
items including print, non‑print, and laboratory materials and
equipment; maintain usage statistics.
- Acquires and uses knowledge of the instructional media
collections to assist users in identifying, selecting and using
- Operates the automated library system to provide instructional
audiovisual materials to faculty members.
- Meets periodically with the circulation coordinator and other
library staff regarding library operations internally and
externally with the College and community
- Assist in training student assistants in circulation
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and
weekends. Work schedule is subject to change based on department
- Performs related work as required.
Must have the use of sensory
skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other
employees and the public through the use of the telephone and
personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read,
talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical
capability to effectively use and operate various items of office
related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal
computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine.
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
- Hours are Below (18 hrs/week)
- Monday, Wednesday (4:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.).
- Tuesday, Thursday (5:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.)
- Saturday (10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.)
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have one to two years' related experience? (See
minimum qualifications on posting for details)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2