Universities Research Association, Inc. (URA) is a nonprofit
501(c)(3) corporation consisting of over 90 premier
research-oriented universities. The corporation acts under the
authority of its governing body, the Council of Presidents, and the
business of the corporation is overseen by a Board of Trustees. The
URA Corporate Headquarters is located in downtown Washington, DC.
URA shares the responsibility with the University of Chicago
through the Fermi Research Alliance, LLC (FRA) as a management and
operating (M&O) contractor to the Department of Energy (DOE)
for the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (FNAL). URA also is
an integrated subcontractor of National Technology Solutions of
Sandia (NTESS), the Honeywell-led team serving as the M&O
contractor to DOE/National Nuclear Security Agency (NNSA) for
Sandia National Laboratories (SNL).
URA is in search of a Director of Programs, Partnerships, and
Strategy to join our lean, dynamic team. The Director will report
to the Vice President and lead URA's portfolio of programs. This
Visiting Scholars Program, Sandia/URA Graduate Fellowship
Program and others which aim to enhance the impact of collaboration
between URA member universities, national laboratories, and other
stakeholders in support of URA's mission and strategic
The Director will focus on creating a viable strategy
completing a needs assessment, evaluating the impact of our current
programs, and developing new programs, partnerships, and
initiatives that will enable URA member universities to engage
fully with national laboratories and policymakers. The Director
will engage key stakeholders across a wide spectrum of technical,
scientific, and policy challenges, from high energy physics to
artificial intelligence to climate change.
The Director will advise on the development and
implementation of national campaigns, communication strategies, and
strategic branding for these and other core URA programs. The
Director of Research Programs, Partnerships, and Strategy will have
a passion for STEM, broad working knowledge of academia, and
insight into the workings of government research activities,
including the national laboratories complex and facilities. The
successful candidate will bring a creative approach to addressing
the challenges faced by the nation's research enterprise.
- Oversee the evaluation of current programs and recommend a
portfolio of programs to support URA's strategic goals.
- Develop and implement new initiatives through close
collaboration with laboratories, universities, research staff,
students, and other affiliates.
- Continually evaluate the impacts and risks of new and ongoing
programs and recommend actions to mitigate risks and maximize
- Develop a robust portfolio of partnerships to support new
programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a business partner to universities, laboratories, URA
corporate officers, and key stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with program staff.
- Represent URA via networking, symposiums, and industry-related
- Work with the URA executive team to develop and implement URA's
strategic objectives and engage in high-value business development
- Facilitate cross-functional team collaborations and support
corporate officers in developing business strategies.
- Master's degree or PhD in a STEM field is essential.
- Minimum of 5+ years of professional experience in a university,
national laboratory, or federally funded research facility.
- Progressive experience in project/program management, leading
strategic initiatives and research.
- Demonstrated expertise in expanding stakeholder and partner
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to interact
and build relationships with staff at all levels, including
external stakeholders and business partners.
- Technically proficient with creating written reports and
presentations, Zoom, Microsoft 365, and adaptable to learning new
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, high-level
exposure initiatives, simultaneously working under tight deadlines
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and negotiation
- Track record in increasing market awareness and driving social
- Strong technical and scientific background.
- An innovative and empowering mentor that embraces integrity and
ethical practices by providing accurate, responsive,
detail-oriented results and goals.
- Outstanding analytical and organizational skills,
detail-oriented, ability to prioritize competing and multiple
priorities with a calm demeanor and sound judgment.
- Possess a high level of personal integrity, good judgment,
maturity, and flexible working style.
- Highly engaged, mission-driven, and results-oriented.
- Passion for the work of URA.
- Building Teams: You can work to
strengthen the team and its individual members; you lead by example
and go beyond the expected to assure the success of all involved.
You can facilitate the constructive resolution of conflict;
increase mutual trust; and encourage cooperation and
- Emotional Intelligence: You demonstrate
the ability to interpret and act on human emotions while working
with and/or managing others. You demonstrate empathy,
self-awareness, self-regulation, and motivation.
- Working Strategically: You are able to
align priorities, planning and action to URA's strategic goals. You
can identify patterns or connections between complex and ambiguous
situations that are not obviously related and use these to come to
conclusions about key issues that affect URA's priorities.
- Building Relationships: You build both
formal and informal professional relationships both internally and
externally. You solicit advice, support, sponsorship, and
commitments that result in smooth transitions and the development
of broadly acceptable solutions.
At Universities Research Association, Inc. (URA), our employees
are our most important asset. As part of our commitment to creating
an enjoyable and productive work environment we offer a
comprehensive benefits package.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and CV to