Facilities Worker II
- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- May 27, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Safety & Security
- Employment Type
- Full Time
*These positions will work weekends. Please see work schedule below.*
The Facilities Worker II under general supervision independently performs a wide range of semi-skilled and basic skilled facilities and systems maintenance, repair and renovation work which does not require journey-level skills. This position must be able to perform basic trade work in three or more trades; analyze and troubleshoot problems across multiple trade functions; perform necessary repairs independently; and perform other related facilities and systems support functions as assigned.
- Performs and assists with basic and advanced level maintenance and minor repair work for various trades including carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, custodial, grounds keeping, and HVAC as assigned
- Performs various types of preventive maintenance including: starting/stopping equipment, general cleaning, removing/installing serviceable parts, and painting and lubricating. Identifies problems and needed repairs
- Uses hand and power tools for the completion of various types of preventive maintenance and related repairs
- Maintains clean work areas, tools, equipment and associated structures
- Inspects various types of equipment, systems, and areas to identify problems and needed repairs
- Disables and clearly identifies (lock out and tag out) unsafe equipment, and immediately notifies appropriate personnel
- Reports problems and needed repairs to be documented and scheduled
- Records work details in log sheets, and keeps time records to assists in completion of documentation
- Operates radio or cellular phone for communication of urgent needs, critical information and status updates
- Drives a state vehicle; operates powered equipment, operates utility cart, scissor lift, and forklift (as certified) to access transport personnel, equipment, or waste material
- Responds promptly to and assists with urgent needs in order to prevent injury, damage or further incident
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, trainings and functions
- Uses protective equipment as required for personal safety
- The incumbent maintains records and retrieves data related to work performed using manual and/or computerized record-keeping systems
- Keeps time records to assist in completion of documentation
- Emergency Service Calls during both normal and after hours - provides response to Service Desk to responds to facility services related emergency situations around campus and miscellaneous trouble calls as assigned
- Comprehensive knowledge of specific methods, practices, and tools related to facilities and systems maintenance and repair and semi-skilled and basic skilled knowledge across multiple trades
- General knowledge of applicable trade safety practices
- Working knowledge of building codes and basic knowledge of electrical theory and mechanical principles
- Ability to operate all applicable tools, equipment and systems
- Ability to follow standard written instructions and procedures, read and write at a level appropriate to the position, and perform simple arithmetic calculations as required by the position
- Ability to plan and schedule work according to weather, time and material
- Ability to determine whether or not an item or fixture is repairable and to estimate type and quantity of material needed for project
- Ability to use plastering and roofing equipment
- Ability to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license and maintain a driving record that allows for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required in the performance of duties
- Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam
Any combination of experience and training equivalent to three years of hands-on experience in general facilities and systems maintenance and repair, or comparable experience as a trades assistant or laborer with demonstrated proficiency in the required duties. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation. Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
Six years of hands-on experience in general facilities and systems maintenance and repair, or comparable experience as a trades assistant or laborer with demonstrated proficiency in the required duties.
Classification: Facilities Worker II
Anticipated Hiring Range: up to $5,197
Salary Range: $5,197/month - $6,532/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
Tuesday - Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measures established by each campus. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to email@example.com .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Incumbent is also required to promptly report any knowledge of a possible Title IX related incident to the Title IX Office or report any discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation to the Office of Equal Opportunity.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Housing Fire Safety Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Annual Security Report (ASR) is also now available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Security-Report.pdf. The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and Sexual Assault prevention information, and information about drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery crimes for San José State University locations for the three most recent calendar years. A paper copy of the ASR is available upon request by contacting the Office of the Clery Director by phone at 408-924-1501 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Pursuant to the Higher Education Opportunity Act, the Annual Fire Safety Report (AFSR) is also available for viewing at https://www.sjsu.edu/clery/docs/SJSU-Annual-Fire-Safety-Report.pdf . The purpose of this report is to disclose statistics for fires that occurred within SJSU on-campus housing facilities for the three most recent calendar years, and to distribute fire safety policies and procedures intended to promote safety on Campus. A paper copy of the AFSR is available upon request by contacting the Housing Office by phone at 408-795-5600 or by email at email@example.com .
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: May 27, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert