As part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who
represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University
seeks an Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Exercise
Marian University invites applications for a faculty appointment as
an assistant, associate or full professor in exercise and sports
science. Although the candidate should be comfortable teaching in
many areas of exercise science, it is expected that the center of
expertise will be in clinical exercise physiology. The candidate
should have a strong interest in teaching, advising, and mentoring
our students. The candidate should be prepared to help build and
work within our future masters-level program that provides a path
for students to earn certification from the American College of
Sports Medicine as a Clinical Exercise Physiologist. (CEP).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the
- Teach courses in the area of clinical exercise physiology.
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of
Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values,
honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity
in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual
traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teach undergraduate courses in other areas of Exercise and
- Academic and career advising of our students.
- Participate on department and university-wide committees.
- Actively work on course level and curricular revisions
- Actively participate in new student recruiting and existing
- Coordinate student internships.
- Mentor undergraduate and master’s level students working on
- Coordinate a program that leads our students to be able to earn
certification as a Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist
- Have knowledge of and a commitment to the mission of Marian
- Adhere to Marian University’s policy and procedures.
- Show courtesy and respect in interactions with fellow
employees, students, subordinates, and supervisors consistent with
the University Franciscan values.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor about Department
- A terminal (Ph.D. or other doctoral-level) degree in clinical
exercise physiology or a closely related area. We will consider
candidates who are still finishing their doctoral-level program if
they have a sound plan to complete the degree in a timely
- Outstanding teaching and lecturing skills and provide evidence
of excellence in teaching. Preference will be for candidates who
are experienced in the use of student-centered, hands-on, and
inquiry-based teaching methodologies.
- Be qualified to, and eager to, mentor undergraduate and
master’s level students working on research projects.
- Record of sustained intellectual and professional
- Proficiency of expression in oral and written
- Proven history of managing people to success
- Commitment to collegiality and collaborative
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to the integration of liberal and professional
learning and the creation of a vibrant campus life in a Catholic,
Located within 10 minutes of downtown Indianapolis, Marian
University is one of the nation’s preeminent Catholic institutions
of higher learning, and ranks as one of US News &
World Report’s top universities in the Midwest Region.
Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St.
Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the
Sisters ingrained into the university’s culture are still prevalent
today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past
15 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener,
including the opening of the Marian University College of
Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state’s first new medical school
in 110 years. Marian University’s football team has captured
the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015. In 2016 and 2017,
the women’s basketball team won back-to-back NAIA national
championships. Marian University is also home to the most
successful collegiate cycling program in the nation, which
currently holds 42 national titles.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until
the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a
current resume, contact information for three professional
references, and responses to the supplemental mission
Marian University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All
individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with
disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply