Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Compliance the
Hazardous Material Technician will be responsible for managing the
University’s hazardous waste and hazardous materials management
- Following established technical and safety guidelines, collect
and transport hazardous materials and/or waste from individual
generation sites (e.g. laboratories; workshops; mechanical rooms;
etc.); ensure accuracy and quality assurance; proper packaging,
marking and compatibility; complete associated paperwork and data
entry for record keeping; manage required supplies and
- Develop and implement mass flow analysis or assessments and
waste minimization plans for various University generators and/or
satellite accumulation areas.
- Coordinate the disposal of hazardous waste with the
- Interface with supervisors and managers to resolve hazardous
material issues and discrepancies.
- Process hazardous materials or waste from generation sites;
verify contents, sort, weigh, label and store according to
compatibility and hazard class; package and prepare materials for
shipping per Department of Transportation requirements.
- Conduct routine environmental assessments and audits to ensure
compliance with the University’s hazardous material management
- Provide emergency response to hazardous material releases;
Implement and manage the University’s Hazardous Material Emergency
Response Plan. Provide technical advice on hazardous materials to
other University entities as needed.
- Maintain an inventory of hazardous waste generated by location
on a monthly basis.
- Maintain the Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) database for all
hazardous materials at the University.
- Must comply with all applicable federal, state and local
regulations as well as University policies.
- This position is considered to be Essential Personnel. And as
such must be available and able to respond off hours or as directed
by the Director of Environmental Compliance. Must be able to
coordinate remotely and plan with other team members during times
of illness or vacation.
- High School diploma or GED
- Familiarity with hazardous material management requirements,
including federal, state, and local laws.
- Knowledge of equipment, technologies, and systems utilized in
hazardous material management.
- Valid PA and/or NJ Driver’s License.
- Bachelor's degree or Equivalent in Chemistry or other science
- 1 year experience in a hazardous waste management or other EHS
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM)
- 40 hr HAZWOPER Certification
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
University City, Philadelphia PA
This position is classified as Exempt
with a salary grade of
For more information regarding Drexel’s
Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Oct 19 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
Jan 31 2023 Eastern Standard Time