Plumber General Maintenance Technician
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's vibrant and
beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse,
dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and
faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region
and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished
faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of
engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national
reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts
colleges in the country.
is cultivating a
community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value
of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives
and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge,
and insights from lived experience can add to the college's working
and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment
Opportunity employer (EEO) .
Facilities Services (FS), the division that provides college-wide
support of equitable student success. As stewards of Whitman
College's built and natural environment our services range from
planning, design, construction projects, and agency interaction to
maintenance, custodial, surplus, grounds and landscaping, trust -
rental property maintenance, sustainability, recycling,
conferences, scheduling, environmental management, occupational
safety, and utility/energy efficiency. Serving 1,500 students, with
1.3 million gross square feet comprising of 54 facilities, 80
rental units and 112 acres of grounds, we service two campuses -
Main and Johnston Wilderness, as well as two observatory
Facilities Services includes several key departments:
Administration, Conference, Events and Scheduling, Custodial,
Energy Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Grounds,
Maintenance, Planning, Design, and Construction, Rental Property
Maintenance and Sustainability. The FS team includes more than 70
talented and engaged individuals who are dedicated to providing the
most effective, safe, and customer-oriented service to the College
community maintaining an educational environment in support of
recruitment, retention, and Whitman's strategic priorities. Our
staff includes a culturally diverse team of technical
professionals, administrative support, skilled trades, management,
and students that ensures the best learning environment on one of
the most beautifully-built and operated nationally ranked liberal
The Plumber General Maintenance Technician is responsible for
performing skilled plumbing, pipefitting, and preventative
maintenance repairs in facilities at Whitman College. This position
will also be assigned maintenance duties in support of other
maintenance trades and projects as needed. This technician
regularly consults with the Maintenance Supervisor on all matters
involving the operation and maintenance of related equipment and
work scheduling. Evening and weekend work may be required on
- Inspects, diagnoses, repairs, maintains and tests plumbing,
heating, cooling, and other piping systems, cameras, water jets,
augers, unplugs and maintains sewer waste lines and storm
- Removes and replaces or installs all types of plumbing fixtures
such as water closets, sinks, drinking fountains with bottle
fillers, showers, kitchen, laboratory, domestic water heaters and
boilers, and other equipment.
- Maintains and repairs piping, constructing various types of
pipe joints for high and low pressure systems, including threading,
brazing, soldering, crimping and welding.
- Installs fittings, hangers, anchors, guides, drains, clean outs
and piping of all kinds.
- Orders supplies and materials as required. Maintain tools and
work van in a professional manner.
- Reports damages and maintenance repairs.
- Utilizes Facility Services work order system correctly and
regularly, as well as computers (e.g. email, creating
- Works within the safety regulations for federal, state, and
Whitman College. Actively participates in the accident prevention
program, including attending safety program.
- Observes safety precautions and procedures at all times, being
alert for unsafe conditions and reports them to supervisor.
- Must be able to respond to campus emergencies throughout the
- Assists with all other maintenance trades as needed, including
moving furniture and other supplies.
- Helps maintain rain gutter, downspout systems, roof drains and
- Performs backup Boiler Technician and all other General
Maintenance duties as requested by supervisor.
- Organizes daily work schedule and consults regularly with the
Maintenance Supervisor for prioritizing projects.
- Serves as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to
the operations of the College and requires that the position report
to campus for work even during full or partial closures,
emergencies, inclement weather, etc.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with faculty,
students and staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with
- Ability to operate a forklift and mechanical equipment,
including power tools.
- Ability to move heavy equipment such as, generators,
compressors, motors, and appliances. Building supplies may weigh up
to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb up and down and work from step ladders and
- Meet normal physical requirements to perform maintenance
duties, including heights above 20 feet.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and use respirator equipment
- Ability to keep a clean and organized work areas, service
vehicle and parts stock.
- Ability to organize a daily work schedule and use a
computerized work order system.
- Ability to use computers for emails, creating reports, work on
- Ability to clearly and regularly communicate and take
directions from supervisor.
- Ability to read and understand specifications, electrical
diagrams and blueprints.
- Ability to drive and maintain an organized service van.
- Ability to respond to college emergencies as needed.
- Ability to assist all other maintenance trades as needed.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the College's
core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to be reliable and capable of working independently on
the assigned shift.
High School graduation, four (4) years' experience as a journey
level plumber. Knowledge of tools and related equipment is
necessary. Plumbing Skills, knowledge, common sense and the ability
to use each in making decisions. Must possess a Washington valid
driver's license, pass background check and employment
Trade school training. Past experience in standard plumbing and
maintenance practices and procedures in an organization with
extended hours of operation and multiple high-traffic areas such
as, higher education, K-12 schools, healthcare.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily inside Whitman facilities and
sometimes outside, both of which may include working in high
places. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and equipment
solutions. Work may require periodic use of personal protective
equipment (e.g. respirators, confined space). Physical skill and
sustained physical effort may be required for some of the
maintenance responsibilities. Job requires moderate strength and
agility and typically requires balancing, bending, kneeling,
crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling,
lifting, grasping and repetitive motions. Lifting and carrying
materials weighing up to 50 pounds occurs with varied
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision
and life insurances
, a generous 10% matching contribution to
the Whitman College 403(b)
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
, and paid time off
including 13 paid holidays
full-time staff vacation
more about benefits eligibility here
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community.
Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and
students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have
an approved exemption. More information can be found here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin on April 1 and continue until the
position is filled.
April 21, 2022
For full application instructions and position description,