Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college
located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines
academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong
institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and
nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the
goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the
nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College
is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and
world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with
gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in
the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in
the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings -
Who We Are:
The Swarthmore Campus & Community Store is owned and operated
by Swarthmore College for the benefit of the Swarthmore College
Community. As part of the College, we are here to support the
academic mission of the College and to enhance student life. The
Store staff strives to provide quality products at competitive
prices in a friendly environment.
The Associate Director assists the Director with daily operation of
the Store by processing information and paperwork for the
Swarthmore Campus and Community Store (Store). Maintains successful
operation of the text and trade book departments. Works with the
Director to make managerial decisions necessary for a successful
operation of the Store. Oversees the system management for the
Point of Sale System including the overall implementation and use
of the Store’s point of sale system, and supports use of E-Commerce
system. Provides outstanding customer service offering sales,
product, and reference assistance to customers. Runs cash registers
and bank card processing machines as needed. Checks textbook
delegated emails daily to ensure students' questions and issues are
resolved. Assists with special events on or off premises, including
use of mobile registers.
- Manages the A/P invoice flow for the Store from incoming mail,
inputting invoices into A/P, selecting invoices currently due for
payment, and final filing of invoices.
- Keeps track of debit memos, credit memos, invoice adjustments,
- Checks statements for accuracy and communicates with vendors to
reconcile invoice problems.
- Maintains and updates the vendor database.
- Provides the business office with invoice payment information
bi-weekly. Communicates with the business office to reconcile
accounts payable and balance sheet differences and maintains line
item details in budget (Banner).
- Provides complete service and coordination of all the textbook
and instructional material ordering, processing, and
- Verifies all text information received from faculty viaVerba
- Processes faculty textbook orders (adoptions) in an economical,
yet timely manner.
- Receives texts into the software system as they arrive to
ensure inventory and price accuracy. Notifies faculty members about
textbook delays and out of stock or out of print titles, and works
with the faculty member to adopt appropriate replacements.
- Manages the layout of shelf tags, keeps text shelves orderly
and updated with necessary information such as late book orders,
price changes, rentals and digital availability, out of stock
- Manages the textbook online presence and ensures terms are
available for online ordering.
- Controls back stock inventory of books, processes returns of
unsold stock to publishers in a timely fashion, and tracks and
applies the resulting credit to future invoices.
- Oversees and manages the students textbook online ordering
through the store website. Pulls textbook orders, approves pick
lists, generates receipts and organizes the pick-up of online
textbook pick-up. Runs backordered title report to see where
reorders need to be made. Reconciles online payment processing
errors. For the Textbook Affordability Program (TAP).
- Responsible for creating new terms and uploading student
account information each academic year. Oversees student account
spending. Assists with any and all TAP issues. Provides end of the
semester TAP usage reports to College administration.
Who you are:
- Supervises Trade Book Buyer/ Sales Associate. Oversees
management of the Trade Book section of the Store. Trains trade
book buyer in MBS systems for ordering, receiving and returns of
trade books as needed.
- Reconciliation: Monitors Bookstore’s income statement and
balance sheet accounts in Banner and reconciles with Bookstore
records (monthly Excel reports)
- Bookstore Accounts: Supervises and signs off on the following
activities handled by Operations Manager: reconciliation of debit
and credit accounts, deposits, monthly billing, end-of-year refunds
to graduating account holders.
- The Assistant Director works independently to manage text and
trade departments. Full-time bookstore staff report to the
Assistant Director in the Director’s absence.
What you bring:
- Strong organization skills, strong oral and written
communication skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and multiple
- Ability to work under deadlines and prioritize workload,
ability to work in a supportive and collaborative fashion.
- Ability to work as a team member to build strong working
relationships, must handle constant interruptions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that varies and includes
coverage of retail hours and stand for extended periods of time
during “rush” periods, ability to lift/move heavy boxes.
What You Will Get:
- Associate’s Degree required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in collegiate retail strongly
- Experience with MBS or other textbook management databases is
- The Associate Director is expected to work at least one evening
a week and at least one weekend a month.
You’ll work at one of the world's most renowned liberal arts
Colleges, with incredible benefits, a stunning 420-acre campus, and
a hybrid work environment. And you’ll join a team of passionate,
creative, and supportive people who work hard and have fun at the
Swarthmore College Campus Community store. If you are excited about
this role, we want to hear from you!
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and
cover letter with pay expectations by June 13, 2022.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from
candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with
demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
May 23 2022 Eastern Daylight Time