Faculty member’s responsibilities shall be teaching courses as
Faculty members must possess a willingness to teach face to face
Faculty member must possess a willingness to be certified to
The following are some disciplines in need of adjunct
faculty: Accounting, Architecture, Astronomy, Biology,
Business, Chemistry, College Success, Communications, Computer
Science, Criminal Justice, Developmental English, Economics,
Engineering, Engineering Technology, English, English as a
Second Language, Fine Arts, Fire Science, Game Design,
Government, History, Mathematics, Modern Language, Paralegal
Studies, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology and Sociology.
Characteristics, Duties, and
- Teaches assigned courses in accordance with description
published in catalog and the approved course syllabus, in
accordance with schedule of classes and incorporating interactive
approaches, technologies and methods when possible.
- Incorporates an appreciation of diverse lifestyles, cultures
and national perspectives into courses.
- Incorporates the use of the library into courses, uses writing
as an instructional method, and utilizes computing and other
academic technologies in courses when possible.
- Meets all scheduled class meetings.
- Advises Division Dean/Assistant Dean of absences in a timely
- Maintains accurate grade and attendance records for students
enrolled in classes and submits required reports to Dean/ Assistant
Dean or Student Records Office.
- Submits grades per published deadline.
- Participates in assessment of learning outcomes and
demonstrates the use of the results of these assessments in course
- Plans in advance to ensure availability of supplies, textbooks,
and classroom equipment requisite to successful teaching of
- Submits progress reports on students for counseling, athletic
oversight, and record keeping purposes and discusses with
counselors and other appropriate personnel any problems of students
which may require special attention.
- Adheres to College policies and procedures.
- Master’s Degree required in the discipline unless otherwise
- Some teaching experience is required.
- Official college transcripts must be submitted prior to
- Teaching experience at the community college level
Competencies and Skills Required:
- Certification or license as needed and appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduates.
- Willingness to use alternatives educational delivery systems
and instructional techniques.
- Commitment to incorporation of library, computers, writing and
culturally diverse perspective into the curriculum.
- Knowledge of competency-based education.
- Commitment to the practice of providing for out-of-class
interaction with students.
- Fundamental competency in the use of information
- Commitment to continued assessment of the teaching-learning
process and its outcomes.
- Commitment to continual professional growth and
- Demonstrated mastery of subject matter of discipline.
Terms of Employment:
Part-time. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some
evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required.
Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on
and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Employee must
establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of
appointment unless an exemption applies.
Physical Demands and Work
- This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical
interior/residence work environment, based on the activity
- Some physical effort required; however, the employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
Union County College does not discriminate and prohibits
discrimination, as required by state and/or federal law, in all
programs and activities, including employment and access to its
career and technical programs.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general
nature and key features performed by various positions that share
the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and
qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to
assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to
reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.