Howard Community College is seeking an Employment Manager to work
under general supervision, responsible for all local, regional and
national recruitments for staff and faculty positions. Monitors and
maintains equity and compliance with college policies and
procedures for hiring practices. Researches, compiles and reports
data for President, Vice Presidents, AVP of Human Resources, and HR
Director. Interprets policies and procedures. Counsels employees
and performs other related human resources responsibilities.
- Conducts and manages recruitment efforts for all budgeted
positions, full-time faculty, adjunct faculty and temporary
- Manages and monitors all stages of recruitment process, which
includes writing ads, processing resumes, and notifying applicants
of application status.
- Prepares and/or reviews all internal/external job
- Maintains recruitment files (temporaries, budgeted and
- Manages and operates applicant tracking system, including
approving position postings, managing the process of position
statuses, notifying applicants when a position is filled or closed,
and producing reports as required.
- Trains hiring managers and search committee chairs and members
on the applicant tracking system functionality and methods to
improve the success of recruitments.
- Responsible for communicating with applicants regarding
questions and inquiries into positions.
- Posts job announcements on, e-mail, web page, newspapers,
online recruitment sites, and other resources as requested.
- Researches and recommends the optimal, most cost-effective
methods to recruit external candidates from under-represented
- Develops and monitors recruitment budget including facilitating
purchase requisition process for P.O. numbers with the Finance
- Maintains an on-call pool of clerical support staff employees;
disseminates to all offices in the college when
- Maintains compliance with federal and state regulations
concerning recruitment and employment.
- Ensures that hiring processes comply with college recruitment
guidelines and policies by providing education to supervisors.
- Leads the hiring manager or search committee chair by assisting
in the development of specific recruiting plans including the
recommendation of publications for advertising in compliance with
college policy and procedure 63.02.01 (Recruitment of Faculty and
- Obtains diversity committee member for searches that require
diversity committee representation.
- Trains Diversity Committee members for serving on search
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with college
community and community groups as a source to generate qualified
- Monitors and maintains equity in hiring practices.
- Consults with hiring managers on applicant pool related to
minimum advertised qualifications and determines equivalent
- Monitors and analyzes recruitment efforts for cost
- Verifies credentials of all candidates selected for
- Facilitates background check searches for applicants
recommended for hire in accordance with Procedure 63.06.05,
References and Background Investigations and tracks receipt of
reports from the service provider. Develops recommendations for
hire based on report information.
- Creates or updates employee records in Colleague in NAE
- Creates positions for new budgeted employees in Colleague
ensuring proper funding is associated with the position (in
consultation with Finance Office).
- Assigns budgeted employees to Colleague positions.
- Reviews and approves salary agreement letters. Resolves and
addresses contract issues in the absence of the HR Info
- Reviews contracts entered for accuracy. Performs employment
verifications and acts as point of contact for employment
verification inquiries, in the absence of the Human Resources
- Manages and monitors the open positions in conjunction with the
- Manages TPOT (The Power of Two) new employee buddy
- Responsible for obtaining job descriptions for all open
positions from the Director of Human Resources.
- Provides excellent customer service to internal and external
customers, including HCC students, college administration,
employees, and job applicants.
- Educates applicants and campus community about college hiring
process through one-on-one meetings and/or group
- Receives telephone calls and visitors; obtains information,
responds to inquiries regarding recruitment and employment and/or
directs them to the appropriate source for resolution.
- Schedules and/or attends job/career fairs as a source to
generate qualified applicants.
- Obtains statistical data, research and report data for
Associate Vice President of Human Resources and other college
constituencies for internal and external use.
- Consults with college staff on personnel issues.
- Serves on College Committees and attends seminars, conferences
and professional association meetings.
- Maintains knowledge of current personnel law and
- Interprets college policy and procedure pertaining to
recruitment, employment, classification and other HR matters.
- Participates in staff meetings and other meetings and seminars
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or related field or
equivalent in education and experience.
- Professional human resources certification preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in human resources with at
least one year in recruitment.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Preferred: PeopleAdmin/PowerSchool ATS/Position
Management experience desired.
- Experience with a third party applicant tracking system and
Ellucian Colleague preferred.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and practices in human
resources; equal opportunity; affirmative action; employee
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Access,
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook or other electronic mail and
- Requires strong organizational skills and superior
- Ability to work effectively with diverse segments of internal
and external college constituencies.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and handle multiple tasks in a
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills and concepts to
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions
on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of
environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic