Job Description - Research Data Analyst
The Research Data Analyst will provide foundational expertise in research data management, analysis, and methodology needed for supporting EDUCAUSE research projects, data collection, and decision-support services. The person in this position will combine a passion for research design and rigor with experience in managing and improving on quantitative data assets and processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advises and supports principal investigators (PI) on the development of analysis plans for Research & Insights (R&I) studies and other data collection efforts; proposes additional data sources (e.g. IPEDS) to augment analyses.
- Leads the development and routine maintenance of standards for EDUCAUSE survey design and sampling.
- Reviews and contributes to online survey programming. Supports the technical development of data collection tools, including the use of customized code for supporting special online survey requirements (i.e., Alchemer).
- Collaborates with the Data team to develop and maintain standards for data quality; identifies, proposes, and implements improvements to data cleaning and preparation procedures.
- Leads efforts to automate recursive data analysis needs in support of templated research products and services.
- Collaborates with the Data team on the development of interactive data visualizations, self-service reports, and dashboards that give both internal and external end-users the ability to analyze, communicate, monitor, and plan for the future.
- Advises project PI’s on dataset formatting and needs (including support on project “toolkits” generated by the Data team), as well as any data integration needs.
- Reviews R&I products and publications for appropriate analyses and statistical content, including review of EDUCAUSE infographics and data visuals.
- Responds to and prepares deliverables for ad hoc data analysis requests from internal and external customers.
Service and Support
- Represents EDUCAUSE in a professional manner at all times; engages with co-workers, volunteers, and members in a civil, caring, respectful way. Supports the professional development of others in their work to advance the mission and vision of EDUCAUSE.
- Participates in EDUCAUSE events and activities as needed. Travel may be required to support EDUCAUSE conferences/events, research team operations, and external events relevant to the position.
- Acts as a departmental liaison with employees, members, volunteers, volunteer groups, and clients.
- Supports members in a manner that facilitates their growth, engagement, and enhances their EDUCAUSE experience.
- As a frontline user of EDUCAUSE systems and data services, complies with data quality standards; adheres to data governance policies, procedures, and processes for ensuring data integrity. May act as the application or data collection lead for the department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
EDUCAUSE recognizes that the unique backgrounds, talents, skills, and contributions of every individual improve and enhance the quality of the organization. Creating an environment of inclusion is each employee's responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Treat everyone with dignity, respect, and fairness
• Share insights and input as work contributor
• Listen to and acknowledge others contributions
• Contribute to an open and inclusive environment across demographic categories and physical locations
• Know and understand your social style and seek to improve your versatility by understanding the strengths perspectives, work styles, and motivations of co-workers
• Meet others at their point of need and help support organizational achievement
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, biostatistics, economics, computer science, mathematics, or related field.
- Requires experience in data management and research analysis or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient with standard statistical techniques such as linear regression models, linear mixed models, clustering, factor analysis, time-series models, and power/sample size estimation, data mining.
- Experience and use of computer software packages commonly used in statistics and survey research (e.g., R, Alchemer).
- Flexibility learning other statistical packages (e.g., SPSS, SAS).
- Familiarity with database programming (e.g., SQL) is desirable.
- Familiarity with programming languages (e.g., HTML, CSS, PHP) is desirable.
- Familiarity with QlikSense or other data visualization platform (e.g., Tableau) desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Committed to achieving the highest quality results in a deadline-driven setting.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to juggle multiple commitments to multiple individuals
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and work successfully without close supervision.
- Ability to use initiative to identify better ways to work, solve problems, and suggest improvements.
- Location: This a remote position for candidates located in the United States.
What We Offer:
The anticipated salary range for this position is $61,800 - $80,000 per year. This salary range is EDUCAUSE’s estimate for this position and actual compensation will be based on factors including but not limited to the depth and extent of relevant experience, education, and additional training/certifications for preferred skills.
Salary is just one component of EDUCAUSE’s total compensation package for employees: we offer medical and dental insurance, employer-paid life and disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation accrued annually, plus 6 days of personal time, 9 paid holidays, professional development allowance, internet reimbursement, and a retirement plan with generous employer matching.
We ask for minimum salary requirements in our application to ensure we can meet candidate salary expectations; we do not base salaries on current compensation. EDUCAUSE requires successful completion of background checks for all potential employees.
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.