Administrative Specialist, Biology Department
The Administrative Specialist performs administrative duties
concerning the Biology Department. Engages in daily contact with
the public, faculty, students, and University staff to share
information, coordinate activities, and communicate departmental
developments. Exercises sound judgment and demonstrates
flexibility, problem-solving skills and professionalism during
interactions with faculty, staff, students, and the public.
Essential Job Functions of Position
• As department receptionist, answers department main phone
extension and greets visitors, relays messages, provides
directions, and answers questions to assist with each contact’s
• Provides information to students in response to questions about
department offerings and University resources. Makes appropriate
referrals as needed.
• Selects student workers and tutors to ensure the best fit with
department positions. Trains student workers to perform assigned
duties, monitors performance to ensure timely completion of
assignments in a manner that meets department standards, and
submits approved timesheets for payroll processing.
• Maintains a supply of office materials for use by department
staff, monitors use, and orders replacement supplies to ensure the
availability of supplies as needed. Contacts vendors to obtain
prices for needed materials and identify the lowest cost available
or to resolve issues that may prevent prompt delivery.
• Photocopies and prints materials as needed for departmental
operations. Creates and submits requests for printing and copying
services and works with provider(s) to coordinate pick-up or
delivery of completed materials.
• Uses Microsoft Office and other applications to produce letters,
memos and email messages, and completes and submit forms to
facilitate and assist with Department correspondence and
communication. Generates fliers and other print media to support
department and faculty activities.
• Monitors equipment and facilities to identify service and repair
needs. Contacts Facilities Services or contracted service providers
to order and arrange for prompt repair.
• Picks up, sorts, and distributes department mail.
• Establishes, updates, and maintains student and graduate records
to monitor and facilitate student progress.
• Assists staff with data reports. Establishes and maintains
confidential student and departmental records to use as a resource
for tracking, documenting, and reporting department
• Enters semester class schedules in the appropriate software
system to assist with the compilation of the WU Course Schedule.
Amends class schedules as directed. Maintains waitlists for courses
and facilitates student enrollments.
• Using the appropriate software system, creates, submits, and
tracks purchase orders and payment requests to order equipment and
supplies as directed or needed and initiate prompt payment for
• Maintains appropriate purchasing card and online account for
routine purchases of items that do not require Purchase
Requisitions. Completes routine allocation of purchases, attachment
of receipts, and approvals of their transactions in a timely
• Assists department chair with tracking and management of
operating expenses budget, endowed funds and scholarships. Monitors
account balances and expenditures.
• Notifies department chair of urgent correspondences to facilitate
prompt communication in priority matters.
• Assists staff and the Karlyle Woods Committee on logistical
matters concerning the KW Research Area and Meinershagen
• Assists with planning of departmental events and activities;
works with external organizations as directed.
• Attends departmental meetings and takes minutes if
• Communicates regularly with the Office Coordinator and attends
staff meetings. Under the direction of the Office Coordinator,
participates in professional development, training, and process
improvement initiatives in collaboration with other College of Arts
& Sciences staff.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. One year of full-time
equivalent work experience or relevant education or a combination
of relevant education and experience equal to one year of full-time
Preferred: College degree. Previous related experience in a higher
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Proven record of effective organizational, communication, and
problem-solving skills with the demonstrated ability to manage
multiple tasks with effective attention to detail.
Demonstrated effective interpersonal and customer service skills,
professionalism, discretion, and the capacity to handle sensitive
and confidential information appropriately.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and the
ability to learn new software systems.
A commitment to equal opportunity and working with diverse
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
12.98 per hour with potential for a higher entry rate commensurate
Regular Business Hours
After completing one year of service in a benefits-eligible
position, the University will contribute an amount equal to 10% of
base pay into an employee’s defined contribution plan with TIAA
- After one year of continuous employment, eligible employees may
officially enroll in University courses for credit or audit without
having to pay applicable tuition and fees. Law School Courses
- For an overview of the excellent benefits package, Washburn
provides employees visit
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have one year of full-time equivalent work experience
or relevant education or a combination of relevant education and
experience equal to one year of full-time work experience?
- * Are you proficient with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word,
- Cover Letter