Job Vacancy Announcement
Environmental Services Worker (Night)
FACILITIES OPERATIONS (ESW CR
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Responsible for detail cleaning of all restrooms, offices,
classrooms, stairways, hallways, window cleaning, outside entrance
ways, and event set-ups.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- High School diploma.
- Six months to one year of work experience directly in
housekeeping, custodial or environmental maintenance field.
- Knowledge, ability, skills, and proven experience at
successfully using base custodial equipment, (duster, cloth,
straight broom, push broom, dry mop, wet mop, bucket, dustpan,
putty knife, custodial cart, vacuum cleaner, buffer, burnisher, wet
- Knowledge, ability, skills, and proven experience to
successfully disinfect and sanitize contact surfaces including but
not limited to restrooms and all therein, hard floor surfaces,
carpeted floor surfaces, walls, furniture, fixtures, railings,
switches, and hand touch surfaces, etc.
- Knowledge, ability, skills and proven experience at
successfully and safely using cleaning chemicals and products to
perform all of the duties of the respective position
- Knowledge, ability, skills and proven experience at
successfully performing both hard surface floor (buffing,
burnishing) and soft surface floor (shampooing, extracting, scotch
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
- Dusts, cleans, treats as required all office, classroom and
other furniture and apparatus, maintains same in appropriate room
arrangement for required use, empties and maintains trash, recycle
and other receptacles daily or as often as needed.
- Sweeps, dry and/or wet mops. strips, wet or dry scrubs, seals,
finishes, refinishes, buffs and/or burnishes floors, stairwells,
baseboards and related areas as required on a daily basis to
maintain college standards of cleanliness as set by the division;
washes and/or cleans and treats as required all walls, baseboards,
woodwork, windows, blinds, shades, and various other campus
equipment and property to maintain these also to the standards of
cleanliness set by the Facilities Division and Guidelines published
by Association of Physical Plant Administrators. ( APPA )
- Performs “Porter Cleaning-Sanitizing Services,” before and
after the convening of classes, in classrooms, laboratories,
lecture halls, meeting and conferencing rooms. Standards of
cleanliness are established by the Division and APPA
- Performs related work as required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule. Primary hours of work
will be: Monday – Friday 10p.m-6:30a.m..
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the
offer of employment. A signed authorization for the release of
personal information will be required if selected for an
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. No significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping,
and repetitive motions.
Is Background Check Required?
- Ability to stand on feet for long periods of time.
- Ability to safely be able to work around and directly with
cleaning chemicals and products without allergic reaction or
hinderance to ability to perform the job.
- Ability to be able to lift constantly and often repeatedly a
minimum of 50 lbs., both male and female personnel as a condition
- Ability to be able to perform all of the required functions of
the position in full as there is no light duty" in Environmental
- Proven ability to be able to successfully operate all of the
following equipment: (upright vacuum cleaners, back-pack vacuum
cleaners, walk-behind wide vacuum cleaners, side-to-side 375-600
rpm buffers, straight-ahead 1000-2000rpm high speed burnishers, and
1000-2000rpm walk-behind burnishers).
- Ability to be able to work in extreme cold temperatures (for
some 50 degrees to S degrees Fahrenheit), and extreme hot
temperatures, (for some 80 degrees to 105 degrees Fahrenheit), this
for short but extended periods of time as required, (anywhere 1 to
2 hour blocks), both indoors and outdoors, this has mandated to
perform exterior cleaning functions such as stoop and around
building cleaning as needed in winter and summer periods. Ability
to be able to climb and use ladders as needed, (usually 3’ to 8’ in
height), to accommodate high level cleaning, and to go down into
lower level and subbasement building areas such as sump pump rooms,
custodial closets, and mechanical rooms if and when necessary.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have one year full-time or part-time equivalent
experience in environmental services (custodial, janitorial,
- * Are you able to meet the special requirements listed on this
- * Please describe your extent of experience as an environmental
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter