The Campus Director and Dean for the University of Maine at
Machias is responsible for overseeing and providing leadership in
academic affairs and administrative and operational matters on the
campus on behalf of the President and Provost.
Essential Duties &
- Provides dynamic, innovative, and collaborative leadership
committed to student equity and success, academic excellence, and
resource development for Maine’s coastal university.
- Enables a highly successful partnership and collaboration as a
regional campus of the University of Maine (UMaine).
- Assists in creating a vibrant intellectual climate while
maintaining an atmosphere of mutual trust, enthusiasm, and
collegiality within the University community.
- Initiates and develops productive working relationships with
UMaine colleagues in Academic Affairs, Student Life, Facilities,
and other areas of responsibility.
- Encourages the presence and advancement of diversity on campus
and supports campus activities that promote the principles
expressed in UMM’s Diversity
- Fosters and encourages new and effective instructional
approaches and academic collaborations, within the campus, with
UMaine, and with other University of Maine System campuses to
enhance the quality of teaching and learning.
- Reviews and approves faculty assignments recommended by
Division Chairs for all credit courses, consistent with the
AFUM/PATFA collective bargaining agreements and the UMM Faculty
- Oversees the process of student evaluation of courses and
faculty members according to the procedures outlined in the
AFUM/PATFA agreements and the UMM Faculty Handbook.
- Oversees and participates in evaluation of faculty performance
and makes recommendations to the UMaine President and Provost on
matters of faculty searches, appointments and reappointments,
leaves, promotions, tenure, and salaries, consistent with
procedures outlined in the AFUM/PATFA agreements and the UMM
- In collaboration with Associate Dean for Academic Affairs,
develops and promotes a plan for faculty and professional staff
development, including the development of leadership in management
roles and an orientation program for new faculty.
- Shares responsibility with UMaine and the University of Maine
System for the planning, implementation, and assessment of NECHE
and other accreditation-related activities.
- In collaboration with Associate Dean for Academic Affairs,
promotes planning and implementation of campus-wide academic
- Serves as the Chief Administrative Officer on the campus on
behalf of the President.
- Supports UMM’s Board of Visitors (BOV) through facilitation of
meetings, identifying BOV members and implementing
- Enriches partnerships and catalyzes development, crafting a
successful vision and plan for institutional advancement in support
of UMM’s mission and values.
- Serves as an engaged member of the external community, leading
UMM’s commitment to serve the needs of the citizens of the region
and the state of Maine.
- Collaborates with the associate dean for academic affairs,
associate registrar, and faculty committees to review and recommend
policy in all academic areas; enforce academic standards; recommend
criteria for honors; and publish Dean’s List each semester.
- Works with UMM faculty, the Director of Student Life, the
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, and colleagues at UMaine to
ensure an effective academic advising program and appropriate
support in meeting the needs of students.
- Works with Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Division
Chairs, and academic committees to support the revision of
curriculum and teaching methods, and to plan, implement, and assess
- Collaborates with UMaine colleagues to continue academic
integration and coordination.
- Collaborates with Enrollment Management at UMaine and with
UMM’s Admissions Office to increase enrollment at UMM.
- Facilitates dialogue between faculty and the offices of Student
Life, Academic Support, and Admissions to ensure the effectiveness
of new student recruitment, orientation and testing, student
advising, and placement of students in academic programs.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs,
enhances academic support and student, faculty, and staff retention
- Other duties as assigned.
- Meets regularly with all on-site direct and indirect reports to
provide oversight and to coordinate campus functioning and
- Develops and meets regularly with UMM Leadership to coordinate
and implement campus events and activities, short and long-range
planning, strategic initiatives (in consultation with the
President), use of space and long-term planning for campus
- Develops and meets regularly with a UMM Emergency Management
Committee to coordinate efforts, planning, protocols, and
procedures with local law enforcement, fire department, ambulance
services, and others to ensure campus safety.
- Coordinates with the Director of Facilities to determine campus
closures or late starts due to inclement weather or other related
Planning and Budgets
- Oversees the preparation and monitoring of annual budgets in
all areas of responsibility.
- Oversees the implementation and assessment of strategic
planning in all areas of responsibility.
- Initiates and coordinates short-and long-term academic
planning, assessment, and budgeting in cooperation with UMaine
leadership, the Division Chairs, and leaders in all other areas of
- Develops institutional priorities and coordinates budget
requests with UMaine’s Chief Business Officer and the
UMM Representation at UMaine and UM
- Serves on UMaine leadership councils, including the President’s
Cabinet, to represent UMM.
- Works with other UMS campuses to establish system-wide course
transfer policies, articulation agreements, and general academic
- Works with other UMS campuses to improve the educational
offerings of the System and increase the cooperative efforts among
- Represents UMM to appropriate external groups and individuals,
especially those with academic and/or faculty connections,
including UMM’s alumni group.
- Promotes the mission of the campus as one committed to
excellence in undergraduate education and to service and
contributions to regional, national, and world understanding and
- Serves as UMM’s representative on the UMS Chief Academic
- Engages in appropriate consultation and collaboration with UMM
faculty when representing UMM to outside partners.
The Dean/Director has direct supervisory responsibility for the
division chairs, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, and an
administrative assistant. They have indirect supervisory
responsibility for the Director of Facilities, the Director of
Student Life, the Assistant Director of Marketing and
Communications, and (on occasion) externally funded, fixed-length
Reports directly to the Executive Vice President and Provost of
the University of Maine, with dotted line to the University of
Maine and University of Maine at Machias President.
About the University
The University of Maine at
Machias, a member of the University of Maine System and a
regional campus of the University of Maine, sits on the Gulf of
Maine, surrounded by rivers, forests, fishing villages, and
blueberry barrens. As a public University, UMM faculty and students
approach the liberal arts with a focus on environmental and
community issues. It includes the Downeast Institute, a marine
science field station. This unspoiled portion of the Atlantic coast
is known for its outdoor recreational opportunities and quality of
life.The academic experience emphasizes learning both in the
classroom and in experiential settings. UMM’s twelve undergraduate
degree programs serve approximately 750 students with a
student-faculty ratio of 14:1. For more information about the
University visit Machias.edu.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited
- At least five years of administrative experience, with
progressively more responsibility, including experience supervising
Ph.D.-level employees and managing budgets.
- Professional experience, credentials, and achievements
consistent with appointment with tenure at the rank of
- Evidence of strong, effective communication and interpersonal
- Record of active commitment to diversity, equity, and
- Evidence of creative ideas for strengthening student, staff,
and faculty equity and success,
academic excellence, and resource development for Maine’s coastal
- D. or terminal professional degree in a relevant discipline
from an accredited institution.
- Leadership experience at a small rural college or a rural
- Strong leadership skills that combine decisiveness and
- Creativity and resourcefulness, including the ability to adapt
in an environment of rapid change.
- Ability to work in teams and with varied constituencies to
- Demonstrated commitment to shared governance and to
professional development of faculty and staff.
- Up-to-date knowledge of academic practices, including
assessment, pedagogy, educational technology, and experiential
- Quantitative skills consistent with effective financial
- Familiarity with serving rural populations in higher
- Ability to articulate and implement a strategic vision for
growth and success as well as to conduct effective short-term
- Record of successful involvement in philanthropic fundraising
and alumni relations.
- Understanding of the operations of facilities management,
student life, and marketing and communications in a higher
Materials must be submitted via "Apply for Position" below. You
will need to create a profile and application upload:
1.) a cover letter which describes your experience, interests,
and suitability for the position
2.) a resume/curriculum vitae
3.) contact information for three professional references
You will also need to submit the affirmative action survey, the
self-identification of disability form, and the self-identification
of veteran status forms. Incomplete application materials cannot be
considered. Materials received after the initial review date will
be reviewed at the discretion of the University.
Although applications will be welcomed until a new dean/director
is selected, for best consideration candidates should submit
materials by June 27, 2022, when the search committee will begin
reviewing applications. Nominations and questions about the
position may be directed to the co-chair of the search committee,
Dr. Heather Ball, Assistant Vice President for Academic
Affairs, University of Maine at Machias, email@example.com or
Appropriate background checks are required.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer, and does
not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national
origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information or
veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs
and activities. The following person has been designated to handle
inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Amie Parker,
Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University
of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine