Campus Health Services
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an
unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values.
We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our
efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of
The staff Physician is responsible for the provision of general
medical care to eligible NAU affiliated individuals (students,
employees, and employee spouses). The staff Physician reports to
the Medical Director of Campus Health Services, Medical
Direct Patient Care - 80%
- Provide primary medical and mental health care through the
evaluation and management of acute, sub-acute and chronic
conditions within scope of privileges applied for and granted by
the Credentialing and Privileging Committee.
- Utilize appropriate, diagnostic resources in a cost-effective
manner to assist in the evaluation and management of these health
- Utilize appropriate, pharmacologic modalities in a
cost-effective manner to treat identified health conditions.
- Provide patient counseling on health-related matters.
- Provide patient education on health-related matters and healthy
Indirect Patient Care - 10%
- Participate in 24-hour call (phone response only) in rotation
with other providers.
- Provide consultant services to other health center
- Document patient care related activities in the EHR in a
clearly understood manner appropriate for the type of
Administrative - 5%
- As requested by the Associate Vice President of Health Services
or Medical Director:
- Participate in committees, provider meetings and other
- Participate in creation, coordination and implementation of
policies and procedures.
- Participate in strategic planning and continuous quality
- Participate in the training of Nurse Practitioner, Athletic
Trainer or other health care students.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical demands include sitting, standing, bending and lifting of
a minimum of 50 lbs on occasion. On-site potential exposure to
contagious illness and bloodborne pathogens in daily
- Medical degree from an accredited allopathic or osteopathic
school of medicine and licensed to practice medicine in the State
- The physician must comply with the requirements for continuing
education defined by the Arizona Medical Board or the Arizona Board
of Osteopathic Examiners.
- Board Certification in primary care specialty.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- Current AHA CPR in person training certified or ACLS training
- Remain current in the field of college health and maintain
- Registration with the Drug Enforcement Agency and prescriptive
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of current physical health, mental health, alcohol
and drug use, and social issues on university campuses.
- Knowledge of Health, Safety, and Emergency Preparedness
policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of documentation of care and appropriate
- Knowledge of documenting services provided in an electronic
medical record system.
- Knowledge of quality improvement related to health
- Knowledge of patient rights, patient consent, confidentiality,
and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Supervisory practices and principles.
- Customer service skills.
- Effective Interviewing skills.
- Active listening skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
- Ability to handle emergent and/or potentially critical
situations with accuracy, speed and diplomacy.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Communicates effectively.
- Possesses strong problem solving, organizational, and
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination
requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal
court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent
executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees
of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For
current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please
visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive
position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona
University requires satisfactory results for the following: a
criminal background investigation, employment history
investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and
fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL,
you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere
to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in
the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $145,713 - $182,141. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an
excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and
vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement
System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and
10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is
available on the Human
Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free
campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis,
renewable each 6 months according to
terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
offered a position will be eligible for state health plans
(including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible
on the first day of the pay period following their
enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31
days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee
chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona
State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that
accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following
6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who
choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which
is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed
staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment.
Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the
ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision
of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors
Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
June 20, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606325&PostingSeq=1