Career Opportunity Number
Maintenance Mechanic Assistant
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Initial Screen Date:
* High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.);
* Two (2) years custodial, grounds or maintenance related
* Valid Driver’s License required
* Minimum qualifications can be substituted with an equivalent
combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully
perform the essential duties of the job.
* Experience doing routine, minor maintenance work using hand and
power tools following established procedures.
Normal working days are Monday to Friday, evening & weekends
can be required depending on the department.
The annual salary is $34,246. A competitive benefit package is
Special Instructions to Applicants
PLEASE NOTE :
• Cover letter, resume, and transcripts are required and must be
attached to the online application in order to receive any
• Interviews will be conducted by a hiring committee.
• We offer all full-time employees medical, dental, vision, and
life insurance plans, as well as retirement, 403b, employee
assistance, and flexible spending and health savings account. We
have a generous time-off policy including vacation, sick/personal
days, holidays, and paid spring and winter break.
We can’t wait to show you why Metropolitan Community College is a
great place to work!
This is the second level in the Facility Maintenance series.
Incumbents assist Maintenance Mechanics in a variety of prescribed
and operational duties which are routine in nature. The position
reports to the Maintenance Mechanic or Supervisor. The Mechanic
Maintenance Assistant will complete room set-ups and tear-downs to
support campus operations. The Maintenance Mechanic Assistant will
perform semi-skilled routine, minor maintenance work using hand and
power tools following established procedures in the repair and
maintenance of campus buildings and facilities. This position is
identified as essential personnel during inclement weather
Typical Essential Duties
• Performs room setups and tear downs individually or with
assistance following schematics and plans.
• Performs minor, routine maintenance duties to include, but not
limited to, changing lightbulbs and ceiling tile from the ground or
on a ladder, and minor plumbing tasks, as directed by a
• Performs maintenance of grounds by cleaning up debris, mowing
lawns, raking leaves and grass, trimming shrubs and trees, etc.
Removes ice and snow as needed during times of inclement
• Assist Maintenance Mechanics in performance of campus facility
maintenance and repair operations.
• Prepares and maintains records, and maintains and orders supplies
as needed. Receive campus mail and packages, sort into mail boxes
and deliver items to individuals or offices as directed by
Supervisor. Uses Computerized Maintenance Management Software to
document performance of work orders.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
• This job description is intended to represent only the key areas
of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary
depending on the business needs of the department.
• Basic cleaning and grounds maintenance techniques;
• Operate Applicable equipment and tools;
• Operate Applicable cleaning chemicals;
• Basic understanding of computers and related software
• Prioritizing and organizing multiple tasks in conjunction with
• Cleaning and sanitizing facilities and equipment;
• Performing landscape maintenance;
• Handling and applying applicable cleaning chemicals;
• Using applicable tools and equipment;
• Monitoring and replenishing inventory;
• Preparing records and logs;
• Using a computer and related software applications;
• Utilizing communication and interpersonal skills as applied to
interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, and
others sufficient to exchange or convey information.
• Ability to safely perform minor building maintenance
• Ability to move and arrange furniture and equipment.
• Ability to interpret room setup requests.
• Ability to write routine reports.
• Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and all levels
of staff and faculty.
• Ability to create and foster a diverse and inclusive work
• Ability to deliver exceptional customer service.
- No staffing table positions.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing,
stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling,
talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 50 pounds of force occasionally,
and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess
of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Must be able to
lift and carry materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on
a frequent basis and team lift up to 100 pounds on an occasional
Incumbents may be exposed to atmospheric conditions, such as fumes,
odors, gases, and poor ventilation; hazardous materials, such as
chemicals, blood, and other bodily fluids; and intense noise.
Position requires work both in outdoor and indoor settings.
Position requires a valid drivers license.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * What is the highest level of education you have as conferred
through an official transcript?
- Have not completed High School/GED
- High School/GED
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree
- Doctorate degree
- * How much grounds or maintenance related experience do you
have, as supported by the employment history listed on your
- less than 1 year
- between 1 and 2 years
- between 2 and 3 years
- between 3 and 4 years
- between 4 and 5 years
- 5 years or more
- * How did you learn about this position?
- Academic Keys
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Dos Mundos
- Employee referral
- Inside Higher Ed
- Kansas City Call
- Kansas City Globe
- Kansas City Hispanic News
- MCC Website
- Other Source
- Cover Letter
- Transcript 01
- Transcript 02
- Transcript 03
- Transcript 04
- Transcript 05
- Other Document 01
- Other Document 02
- Letter of Recommendation 01
- Letter of Recommendation 02