If you have any questions about the position or our application
process, reach out to us at email@example.com
Libraries Job Description
The Director of Public Services leads the evolving public services
for Smith College Libraries including Neilson, Hillyer and Josten
and Alumnae Gym Libraries. The Director stewards the visioning and
strategic planning process for the libraries' public services and
is responsible for staff and processes in Access Services,
Resources Sharing, (Interlibrary Loan and Stacks Management) and
Operations. Coordinates public services aspects of the integrated
curricular services (Central Service Point, Learning Commons, and
the Digital Media Hub) located in Neilson Library as a member of
leadership teams including partners from ITS, the Jacobson Center
for Writing, Teaching & Learning, the Spinelli Center for
Quantitative Learning, the Office of Disability Services, and other
campus services. This position collaborates across the campus with
Alumnae Relations & Development, Admissions, and the Museum of
Art to coordinate the libraries’ role in campus wide events. The
Director manages complex access, space use and security issues of
the libraries and develops ongoing training for Access Services
staff and student employees in public services roles. Employing
user-centered methods, this position leads, designs, assesses and
refines services to provide a user-focused, seamless experience for
the Smith community in an inclusive, equitable and respectful
Leadership & Planning (40%)
- As a member of the Library Leadership Team advocates for and
represents public services in strategic planning and
implementation, resource planning and oversight, leadership
mentoring and organizational development for the Smith College
- Liaises with library departments and ITS to coordinate public
services engagement across the libraries.
- Cultivates a leadership role in developing strong partnerships
with academic units and co-curricular programs.
- Contributes to college-wide and library-wide diversity, equity,
accessibility, and inclusion initiatives.
- Collaborates with peers within the libraries, across campus and
in the community to foster student success and further the
- Leads the User Services Team and working groups in continuous
efforts to develop and assess user-focused policies that are kept
current and clearly communicated.
- Researches, plans, develops, recommends, and implements long-
and short-term goals, best practices, standards, principles, and
innovative means for the provision of public library services to
the Smith and local communities.
Communication & Outreach (20%)
- Responsible for management, policies, and workflows of public
services departments, including Operations, Access Services,
Reserves, Interlibrary Loan and stacks management.
- Collaborates with Collection Services ensuring services are
- Oversees library operations including user services, optimal
space use, user data analysis and security. Liaises with Five
College Inc. regarding storage and retrieval of Smith collections
in the Library Annex shared repository.
- Continuously seeks avenues to optimize service and
accessibility through the application of innovative technologies,
policies, and services.
- Responsible for a staff of 12-15, numerous student employees,
and directly supervises 3-4 FTE.
- Fosters exploration, curiosity, inquiry, discovery and creation
by staff, students, faculty and the Smith community in library
- Strengthens existing and develop new services in consideration
of user needs, new opportunities, evolving curriculum, teaching
methods and technologies, organizational goals and trends in
academic libraries and higher education.
- Works with Library Communications staff to promote library
services, hours, collections, news, tours, and events across campus
and to the Smith and local communities.
- Responsible for providing current, engaging and informative
content for use in library news and event promotion.
- Collaborates with Special Collections and other library
departments and campus partners on planning for and promoting
events, exhibitions, open houses, research support opportunities
and other library experiences.
- Responsible for tours and planning events to create a welcoming
environment and experience for library users, guests and
- Coordinates with library and campus partners to host Smith
events taking place in the Libraries, including key campus
activities such as graduations, reunions, family weekend and
similar events to welcome new and current students, faculty, staff
- Responsible for ensuring that space use digital display systems
are operating as needed and communicating appropriate
Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications :
- MLS, Master's degree in education or a related field; 7 years
of progressively responsible experience in library public services;
or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Substantial supervisory and leadership experience; knowledge of
library support of curricular, co-curricular and public programs
and best practices in assessment.
- Experience in implementing equity and inclusion practices and
creating an accessible, welcoming, respectful library work and
- Experience with library systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in a collaborative and
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to create a workplace environment that is user-focused,
based on respect and prioritizes staff input and development.
- Demonstrated skills in managing teams that collaborate across
departments in agile, quickly-changing environments.
- Ability to apply critical, analytical and innovative thinking
- Ability to successfully manage projects, prioritize work, and
identify and solve problems.
For the care and safety of our community, Smith College requires
that all employees be vaccinated as a condition of employment and
as such, the incumbent will be required to be immunized against
COVID-19 on or before their first day of employment. Proof of
vaccination status will be required. Individuals may seek medical
or religious exemption with HR, but must do so prior to their
Please attach BOTH
a current resume and a cover letter in
order for your application to be considered for this position .
Be sure you have provided all attachments before submitting your
application. You will NOT be able to attach additional files
after you have hit the Submit button.
Review of applications will begin
About Smith College
Located in Northampton, MA, Smith College is one of the largest
women’s colleges in the country and is dedicated to excellence in
teaching and research across the liberal arts. A faculty of
outstanding scholars interact with students in small classes, as
advisors, and through student-faculty research projects. The
College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst,
Hampshire and Mt. Holyoke Colleges, and the University of
Massachusetts Amherst. Students cross-enroll and faculty
cross-teach across the Five Colleges.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and
Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 151B, it is the policy of Smith
College to provide reasonable accommodation when requested by a
qualified applicant or employee with a disability, unless such
accommodation would cause an undue hardship. The policy regarding
requests for reasonable accommodation applies to all aspects of
employment, including the application process. If reasonable
accommodation is needed, please contact our recruiting team at
Diversity and a culture of inclusion among students, staff,
faculty, and administration are crucial to the mission and values
of Smith College. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age,
color, religions, national origin, disability, sexual orientation,
gender identity and expression or veteran status in the recruitment
and employment of faculty and staff, and the operation of any of
its programs and activities, as specified by all applicable laws
and regulations. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.