The Graduate School has an exciting NEW role for a
Communications and Events Specialist!
Communications Specialist Job Summary:
Communications Specialists perform professional services requiring
an in-depth knowledge of one or more communication specialties.
They are responsible for translating organizational or client goals
into strategic media deliverables and are typically responsible for
providing services with a primary focus in a specific specialty,
distinguishing the specialist job from the generalist job. They may
specialize in communications services such as audio or multi-media
production; communications or marketing project management; graphic
design; original writing; photography; print layout and design;
print production; social media design, development, and
maintenance; web or digital design, development, and maintenance;
and/or videography. They may work independently or as a member of a
team. They work under limited supervision, making moderately
complex decisions independently and referring unprecedented issues
to an upper-level manager. Specialists typically report to a
manager or director or in some units may report to an
Minimum Hiring Standards
● Proven experience in content development; excellent writing and
editing skills for social media, web, and print
● Evidence of strong communication skills, including listening,
writing, and speaking.
● Ability to represent the Graduate School well in the
● Excellent interpersonal and teaming skills and the ability to
effectively and positively interact with a diverse range of people
and experience in or potential to work in a culturally diverse work
● Ability to work flexible schedules to attend events and meet
● Capacity to work creatively in both collaborative and independent
● Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment,
maintain confidentiality, and work under multiple deadlines.
● Ability to understand and comply with University and State
policies, procedures, and guidelines.
● Working knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft
Office, Google Workspace Suite, etc.
● Professional working experience in web design/development.
● Knowledge of web content management systems such as T4 or
WordPress and competency in desktop publishing/web editing
● Knowledge of CRM technology and associated marketing tools
● Proven experience working with social media channels (Facebook,
Twitter, etc), Google Analytics, Search Engine Optimization (SEO),
email marketing platforms (LISTSERV®Maestro Email Marketing
Software, MailerLite, MailChimp, etc.), event management platforms
(HopIn), web accessibility best practices, web content management,
and web application testing.
● Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU.
Preferred Hiring Standards:
● Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations,
journalism, marketing, advertising, English, digital/graphic
design, business, or related field is preferred.
● Experience in planning and coordinating large events.
● Experience with SLATE CRM Technology
● Extensive knowledge of Content Management Systems, preferably
● Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design
Department: Graduate School
Employment Type: UF - University Employee FT
Salary Range: $50,000 - $55,000
Restricted Status: No
Exemption Status: Exempt