Posting Detail Information
Compliance Officer- Financial Aid
Internal Position Title
The College of Lake County is seeking a Compliance Officer in the
Financial Aid Department. This position has primary responsibility
for reviewing the business processes and accuracy of work in the
financial aid department to assure compliance with all federal and
state financial aid and veteran’s educational benefit regulations,
as well as institutional procedures. This entails developing
materials and workshops to keep financial aid staff abreast of
regulatory requirements, and auditing student files for accuracy
and compliance with federal regulations including standards of
academic progress, student cost of attendance, award eligibility,
and return of Title IV funds. Additional oversight involves the use
of monitoring reports to verify data integrity and accuracy in the
system, and to develop and implement corrective action plans for
identified processing and business practice concerns.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently
includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and
Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and
qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group
and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible
spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays
off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 14 paid
holidays each year.
The College of Lake County ( CLC ) is a comprehensive community
college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an
innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths
for our students by offering exceptional learning
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and
community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty,
staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake
County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers
in the State of Illinois for 2019.
1. Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related area.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of federal and state regulations
applicable to financial aid programs.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, auditing
skills (solid ability in math, statistical analysis and sampling)
and management skills.
4. Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
1. Demonstrated progression of experience and increasing
responsibility in a financial aid department.
2. Demonstrated ability to quantitatively/qualitatively measure,
assess, interpret, analyze information, and provide feedback and
prepare reports to document changes needed to improve processes
evidenced through improved performance and productivity.
3.Prior auditing experience or experience as a compliance
4.Experience working with financial aid management software.
Expected Start Date
Special Instructions Summary
$57,000 to $60,000
Total Hours per week
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Hours may vary based on the needs of the college.
Software Testing Required
Excel, MS Word
Interview Process Requirements
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has
a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad
spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with
disabilities. EOE /AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Job Category: Department Operations and Procedures
1) Review on an on-going basis, samples of student files to ensure
necessary documentation is maintained and processing is performed
in an accurate and timely manner.
2) Oversee quality assurance, accuracy, and data integrity
3) Monitor day-to-day operations within the department
4) On-going internal review of financial aid compliance with
government and institional policies and regulations
5) Review student accounts to make certain awards are in compliance
with Department of Education mandates, correct overawards as
6) Audit student loans for accuracy and compliance with
7) Cancel student aid as warranted in compliance with institutional
and government regulations.
Job Category: Project Leadership
1) Audit federal and state military programs for compliance with
2) Conduct periodic audit of student work-study time cards for
accuracy and compliance with program regulations.
3) Conduct monthly audit of Return to Title IV and over-award
calculations for compliance with accuracy and timeliness.
4) Ensure all aid and benefit programs are reconciled according to
5) Prepare monthly compliance reports on department operations and
6) Audit changes from patches/fixes/upgrades to ensure staff are
complying with newly implemented operating syatem changes.
7) Assist in annual departmental audits as assigned.
8) Conduct term audit of standards of academic progress
calculations and special circumstance decisions for accuracy.
Job Category: Strategic Leadership & Planning / Management
1) Staff training as warranted due to indentification of compliance
and file processing concerns as a result of on-going file
2)Recommend business operations changes to ensure compliance with
government and institutional policies and regulations
3) Work with Director and Dean of Enrollment Services to ensure
compliance concerns are adressed and corrected
4) Work with other departments to ensure conpliance concerns are
addressed and corrected
5) Review proposed changes to financial aid operations and evaluate
such changes from a compliance perspective.
6) Assist with the creation and updating of department policies and
7) Recommend business operations changes to ensure compliance with
government and institutional policies and regulations.
8) Review student financial aid forms and loan aplications to
ensure compliance with government policies and regulations.
Other: Student and Customer Service
1) Work closely with other departments and agencies to resolve
student aid issues.
2) Work closely with other schools to resolve student aid issues in
compliance with government regulations.
3) Research federal student aid and state agency websites for
changes in financial aid policies and regulations. Monitor
regularly. Disemminate information to the financial aid staff,
recommend updates to policies as warranted.
4) Review financial aid information on the the college website to
ensure accuracy and compliance with government an institutional
policies and regulations.
5) Perform other related duties as assigned.
Posting Specific Questions - supplemental questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting,
business or related area?
- * Do you have comprehensive knowledge of federal and state
regulations applicable to financial aid programs?
- * Do you have demonstrated progression of experience and
increasing responsibility in a financial aid department?
- * Do you have experience working with financial aid management
- * Do you have prior auditing experience or experience as a
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Other Document