Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Official TSU Title
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR CENTER CRIMINAL JUSTICE - ECI
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
Under general supervision oversees the day-to-day operations of the
Earl Carl Institute’s Center for Criminal Justice. Responsible for
the Thurgood Marshall School of Law Innocence Project providing
oversight of investigations and representation and/or litigation
support in bringing actual innocence claims.
Essential Duties Summary
- Manages day-to-day operations of the ECI -Center for Criminal
- Oversees the Thurgood Marshall School of Law Innocence Project
including teaching, investigations and litigation of actual
- Develops and implements an organizational plan/plan of action
for the ECI Center for Criminal Justice.
- Develops programs and alliances with various governmental
entities at a local, state and federal level to advance the
Center’s mission and the development of the students.
- Assists other ECI staff with research and writing projects
related to criminal justice reforms.
- Serves as the primary source for coordination of community
education programs related to indigent defense.
- Serves as the primary source for the research and development
of criminal law and public policy articles, studies, papers, and
reports in related areas.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
$73,417.00 - $91,771.00
Juris Doctorate from an American Bar Association ( ABA ) accredited
Licensed to practice law in Texas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Policies, procedures, and practices.
- Management and supervisory practices.
- Banner and other job-related software systems.
- Supervisory techniques.
- Microsoft Office Professional or similar applications.
- Detail oriented.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Multitasking and time management.
- Coordinating work over others.
- Planning activities.
- Analyzing documents.
- Leading projects.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Work independently.
- Communicates effectively.
- Use job-related software and systems.
- Use job-related such as Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis, ProDoc or
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of related experience.
- The ability to explain all legal issues and options in a manner
that allows the client to make thoroughly informed decisions. Guide
and explain the process including identifying all appropriate
steps. Conversant with all applicable laws.
- Routine office environment.
- Sitting or standing in one location much of the time.
- Some stooping, lifting or carrying objects light weight may be
- Use of video display terminal.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
Posting Detail Information
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Juris Doctorate from an American Bar
Association (ABA) accredited law school?
- * Do you have five (5) to seven (7) years of related
- * Do you have the ability to explain all legal issues and
options in a manner that allows the client to make thoroughly
informed decisions and guide and explain the process including
identifying all appropriate steps?
- * Are you conversant with all applicable laws?
- * Are you license to practice law in Texas?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Other Document
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3