Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of
Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position.
A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional
communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship,
respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is
designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in
creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding
of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact
on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence
in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace &
Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Tomball
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer
and career training education to 93,000+ students each semester.
LSC has been named a 2021 Great Colleges to Work For® institution
by the Chronicle of Higher Education and ranked 35th in Texas in
the Forbes ‘America’s Best Employers By State’ list.
LSC consists of eight colleges, seven centers, eight Workforce
Centers of Excellence and Lone Star Corporate College.
Founded in 1988, Lone Star College-Tomball is the third oldest
college in the LSC system. LSC-Tomball offers a wide range of
academic and workforce programs and is a leading college in the
health sciences. LSC-Tomball is the founding college of the
lifePATH® program, a four-year degree for adults with cognitive
disabilities. LSC-Tomball enjoys a joint library partnership with
Harris County Public Library, and we offer an early college high
school with the Tomball Independent School District.
Location address is 30555 Tomball Parkway, Tomball, TX 77375.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Advisor II serves as the first point of contact and resource
in meeting with, advising and tracking students’ academic progress
in connection with degree completion. Position provides academic
advice and direction to students on degree planning, program
requirements, course selection and enrollment, and schedule
building. Educates students’ on LSC’s policies and state &
federal rules as they relate to them. Represents Lone Star College
(LSC) internally and externally.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Serves as the designated campus Advisor to students in all
areas pertaining to their academic progress with Lone Star
- Provides individual, one-on-one academic advising to students
on degree requirements and proper course selection
- Provides guidance and assistance to students to ensure smooth
transition to 4 year institutions
- Communicates and coordinates with College Relations and
universities to schedule transfer events for students
- Monitors, tracks and reports progress on a cohort group of
students including success, retention, and completion rates
- Assists students in creating their MEP (My Educational Plan)
and advises students on course prerequisites, co-requisites, and
recommended course sequence
- Educates and provides students with information on resources
and services available at the campus/center
- Reviews degree plans for students, approves/denies their
requests to graduate, and processes student registration
- Develops workshops, information sessions, recruitment events,
etc. and advises students on employment opportunities in their
field of study
- May work with local school districts on advising CTE (career
technical education), dual credit, tech prep, and potential
- Advises and assists students in creating and developing resumes
and cover letters
- Advisors of International students will advise on immigration
issues, ensures college compliance with all immigration
procedures/regulations, and provides admission advice and counsel
to International students. They will also collaborate with the
Office of International Programs in the planning and implementation
of college wide policies and procedures
- Serves as a member or chair of various committees/meetings,
such as Graduation, Veteran’s Luncheon, All Male Summit, Female
Summit, Open House, New Student Orientation, etc.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Proficiency with common office software
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking student
success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of
- Ability to prioritize duties
- High level of customer service
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to
do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending;
carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or
driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to
perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS :
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a
Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to
carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal
exposure to safety hazards
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of experience, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work experience in a higher education setting
- Experience working with students who have unique barriers and
experience in assisting these students with their educational
Hourly Pay Rate is $21.75.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part
of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work
environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver,
participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of
the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on
‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title
once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached
your cover letter with your resume.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email,
mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the
academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on
your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication
regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by
phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which
Lone Star College provides the federal government with information
from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is
authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are
subject to a criminal background check.