Information Officer III
Number of Vacancies
04 - Fine & Performing Arts
H0401-Deans Off Fine, Perf & Comm Arts
Wayne State University requires all students, faculty and staff to
be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn
more at: https://wayne.edu/coronavirus.
Essential Functions (Job Duties)
Develop and implement social media campaigns promoting
university/school/college/division events. Coordinate and
participate in writing and editing major and/or sensitive news
stories while serving as key media relations contact or publicist
to enhance and promote the image of the University including its
schools, colleges and divisions in the areas of research, academics
and community service. Specialized knowledge of journalistic
practices and principles is expected in handling important
controversial subjects and in establishing effective relations with
outside news media and internal/external constituents .
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinate and participate in writing and editing major and/or
sensitive news releases and feature articles, publications and
other informational pieces for print and electronic media
publicizing significant academic, cultural, sports, or other
activities of the University. Oversee writing, editing, layout,
design and photo selection for promotional brochures, pamphlets,
advertisements and other publications.
- Participate in all phases of production of internal and external
social media campaigns and monitor social media streams including
story selection, content and placement, headlines, photos and
graphics, layout and any other production activities. Coordinate
special purpose publications as needed.
- Oversee, obtain and verify information for staff reporters.
Provide assistance in the identification of possible interview
sources in connection with general news events. Initiate and
develop original story ideas and adapt material to established
media practices and standards; perform copy editing and re-write
- Serve as key media relations contact or publicist. Arrange press
conferences and other such informational events to keep print and
electronic media apprised of major activities of the University.
Maintain extensive contacts or liaison role with editors, reporters
and other local, State and national media representatives.
- Participate in production of radio programs which includes
preparation of scripts, tape interviews and testing activities.
Write and edit radio and television spots or public service
announcements, e.g. snow closures, conferences, etc.; contact print
and electronic media for placement of informational pieces on
- Represent the department at seminars, speeches conferences and
meetings of editorial organizations to keep current with
journalistic practices and to establish and maintain on-going
contact with media representatives. Work with selected committees
and groups to plan special events and activities, i.e. Festival
- Participate in special projects and assignments. Prepare
scheduled reports and summaries; coordinate production of special
publications or series of printed materials.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university or an
equivalent combination of education and/or experience. Coursework
or major concentration in journalism, English, mass communications,
or public relations is necessary.
- Experience in social media practices.
- Considerable experience in newspaper or editorial work is
- Excellent oral and/or written communications skills.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of
- Ability to initiate and develop original story ideas and to adapt
such materials to established media standards.
- Ability to coordinate and participate in writing and editing
major new stories.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments to meet
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
between print, electronic media and the University community.
- Typically, incumbents have held lower level Information Officer
positions or have had previous newspaper or editorial
Professional/Administration & Supervisory/Management
Duration of Posting
Fiscal Year of Job Open Date
Job Open Date
(When job is posted in the system)
Job Close Date
(or until suitable candidate is found)
Until Suitable Candidate is Found
Is this position reposted?
None (New Posting)
Background Check Requirements
University policy requires certain persons who are offered
employment to undergo a background check, including a criminal
history check, before starting to work. If you are offered
employment, the University will inform you if a background check is
Instructions for submitting your application:
Represented Position Message
This position must be filled pursuant to the provisions of a
collective bargaining agreement, and as such may be filled by a
qualified bargaining unit member, should one apply.
Salary (Hire Max)
Is Position Bump Ineligible?
(Non-Academic, Represented positions only. Select 'No' for
Academic. Select N/A if Non-represented.)
**NOTE: If 'Yes' is selected, then this is a Bump Ineligible
Position (BIP). The person who bids or hires into this 100% grant
funded position has no bumping rights upon grant expiration or in a
reduction of force.